engine proplem just started this morning, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pontiacgp, you have got me confused. The power valve in a Holley has nothing to do with crossing two plug wires, and making the engine pop back through the carb. We are talking about "blowing some crap" out of the idle circuit, and any other junk by the squirters or throttle plates. The power valve is operated by vacuum, and you can get them in different ratings. As you increase throttle quickly, the vac drops, and when it gets to the inches of vac that the valve is set for, it opens, allowing more fuel to be disbursed. Hope I explained that OK. ...........mickey-d :lol:

mickey-d said:
Pontiacgp, you have got me confused. The power valve in a Holley has nothing to do with crossing two plug wires, and making the engine pop back through the carb. We are talking about "blowing some crap" out of the idle circuit, and any other junk by the squirters or throttle plates. The power valve is operated by vacuum, and you can get them in different ratings. As you increase throttle quickly, the vac drops, and when it gets to the inches of vac that the valve is set for, it opens, allowing more fuel to be disbursed. Hope I explained that OK. ...........mickey-d :lol:

I believe he was refering to hurting the power valve when you backfire through a Holley.

jrm81bu said:
I believe he was refering to hurting the power valve when you backfire through a Holley.

that was what I was referring to....the newer holly's are supposed have some protection for that but the older holley's it was known to blow out the power valve with a backfire through the carb...

Sorry, I never had any trouble, but I never ran stock power valves. Not sure why it would hurt one, but anything is possible.
..................mickey-d :lol:

mickey-d.....holly has upgrade kits for some of the older model to protect the power valve in case of a backfire through the carb. A backfire didn't blow them out every time so you may have been lucky but they were known for that problem. But maybe those models are before your time...I'm old ... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor