Engine run-on with sniper efi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
Good to know. We never got to fir up last week. Trying again tomorrow. Of course, there's no gas to put in it, so that may delay things further.
Yeah the gas thing is a pain. South Florida isn't really dealing with no gas as much as dumb people. Everyone here was filling up like we had a Cat 5 hurricane coming yesterday and emptied a lot of the stations but they're all full today. We get out fuel from our port and not the pipeline but common sense ain't so common anymore.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I honestly don't think you will have a problem.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah the gas thing is a pain. South Florida isn't really dealing with no gas as much as dumb people. Everyone here was filling up like we had a Cat 5 hurricane coming yesterday and emptied a lot of the stations but they're all full today. We get out fuel from our port and not the pipeline but common sense ain't so common anymore.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I honestly don't think you will have a problem.
Well, my dumba$$ had the oil pressure safety switch wired backwards, because I couldn't read the terminals under the car. Took me a minute to figure out why the starter ran in the ignition position! D'oh!!! I've checked the fuel and fan relays, already; they're good, and the handheld lights up (in ignition, now).

Reactions: 2 users

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
Well, my dumba$$ had the oil pressure safety switch wired backwards, because I couldn't read the terminals under the car. Took me a minute to figure out why the starter ran in the ignition position! D'oh!!! I've checked the fuel and fan relays, already; they're good, and the handheld lights up (in ignition, now).
🤣🤣 That's ok I was over here this morning trying to figure out why my gas gauge ain't working with the new efi tank. 3 hours dropping the tank testing everything I could with the multi meter just to find out my dumbass needed more gas 🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🔫

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So you can download a Global Config File with this and change fuel, timing & whatever tables are available, correct?

The one wire alternator and EFI has been known to cause issues. Megasquirt manuals have instructions that include 'do not use' them. It's easier to have a charge and exciter wire - backfeeding is a SNAFU. Holley has a more robust ground protection from my understanding.

Any chance you want to share your GCF?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
🤣🤣 That's ok I was over here this morning trying to figure out why my gas gauge ain't working with the new efi tank. 3 hours dropping the tank testing everything I could with the multi meter just to find out my dumbass needed
Slowpoke86 I saw your thread on the Holley forum. Did you find a solution to your "run on" problem? If so, what was the ultimate fix? Did you install the diode on your internally regulated alternator?
Another heads up on the install. While everything is cold turn key on and match the MAT temp with the CTS temp. Holley is known for bad temp sensors . The sensor holley sent me was 19° off . I went a bought a Delco from Oreillys and now the Temps are 1° difference 20210513_090117.jpg

Attachments

• 20210512_105557.jpg
    20210512_105557.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
So you can download a Global Config File with this and change fuel, timing & whatever tables are available, correct?

The one wire alternator and EFI has been known to cause issues. Megasquirt manuals have instructions that include 'do not use' them. It's easier to have a charge and exciter wire - backfeeding is a SNAFU. Holley has a more robust ground protection from my understanding.

Any chance you want to share your GCF?
I'm not sure about the sharing the GCF. Not that I don't want to just that I don't know how yet. I'm new to all this and learning as I go. From what I gathered about the back feed was because the Sniper and ignition box are directly + - to the battery and from a holley tech to my ears it only takes about a ½ volt to power the trigger wires. The combo of direct power from batt and minimal power to keep the triggers on is the reason it ran-on. The stock hei system isn't direct to a power source so when the key is off the residual power don't effect it. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
I will look into the GCF and get back to you on that.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Another heads up on the install. While everything is cold turn key on and match the MAT temp with the CTS temp. Holley is known for bad temp sensors . The sensor holley sent me was 19° off . I went a bought a Delco from Oreillys and now the Temps are 1° difference View attachment 175341
Could you please post the Delco part# you purchased from O'reilly. I have the Holley temp sensor in my cart, and would like to avoid any potential issues with their sensor. Thanks!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
Could you please post the Delco part# you purchased from O'reilly. I have the Holley temp sensor in my cart, and would like to avoid any potential issues with their sensor. Thanks!
Yes sir here you go. I believe it was $23.99.
Part # Delco 213-928

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes sir here you go. I believe it was $23.99.
Part # Delco 213-928
For a MAT sensor you ought to use an open air temp sensor.

The normal Delco 213-928 is for coolant or oil. It will work =, but the heat soak will hurt on hot start ups if it's anywhere above the intake.

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
For a MAT sensor you ought to use an open air temp sensor.

The normal Delco 213-928 is for coolant or oil. It will work =, but the heat soak will hurt on hot start ups if it's anywhere above the intake.
I'm not 100% sure what your are talking about. The MAT is built into the sniper unit itself . The coolant sender holley sends is 20° off actual temp. I was letting him know to test the coolant temp sensor and replace before start up if not in spec of the MAT.

Attachments

• 20210513_090117.jpg
    20210513_090117.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210512_105557.jpg
    20210512_105557.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor