Ever Been a Victim of Auto Theft Try This Out....The SNITCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUNUPIFUDARE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2008
San Francisco
I feel sorry for all of you guys, we put so much lovve and money into our cars to have some a-holes who just want one or two things off of the car like the music or the rims. In my case someone stole my SS fascia off of the front end. But here's the new thing in theft deterent that I'm going to ourchase as soon as I get my back out on the streets. Where ever you're at look-up GPS-THE SNITCH.COM and check it out. My brother is a cop and he tells me that even with a LoJack the system that the cops have still requires them to drive around and look for your car. What cop has time to search for an audible beep all night instead of fighting crime? The cool thing is that you can check it from you cell or have it notify you if something is wrong and with the type of phones out there now, a map of ehere your car is couldn't get any better. The only thing is that there is a monthy plan similar to a cell but the cost-to-lost ratio is a no brainer. :D

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but for the cost of an extra cell phone, I wonder about simply adding a line to an existing plan with a base phone, and placing it under the dash of a car, with a charger hardwired in. The added cost on a cell plan isn't much, and I believe they ping the cell as it travels. Car gets stolen, just have the police track the cell signal through your wireless provider.

-matt

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Re: Ever Been a Victim of Auto Theft Try This Out....The SNI

SilverShadow87 said:
now THATS an idea.
would have to hard wire the phone into the car (for charging purposes) and there are other variables that need to be present for the phone to be "pinged" (by police).

also, with lojack a police officer does not have to actively search for the car, as the helicopter or unit with lojack drives around, it works by itself. when it receives a lojack hit, it sends the signal to the unit and is able to be tracked fairly easily... lojack also does not have the same issues as an attempt to "ping" a cell phone

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009

In the Big City's the cops do not even waste their time on LoJack vehicles. They usually send a Detective or Newby a day later to fill out the report. And if you are lucky they may find whats left abandoned on a street corner :cry:

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

anakputa said:
In the Big City's the cops do not even waste their time on LoJack vehicles. They usually send a Detective or Newby a day later to fill out the report. And if you are lucky they may find whats left abandoned on a street corner :cry:
not necessarily true... I dont know where you are, but near my neck of the woods, it gets handled appropriately... Im not advocating LoJack, just sharing my experience with it

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Worth noting.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

My brothers work van was stolen out of his work parking lot one day. His cell phone was in the center console. They quickly tracked the guy down. The cops showed up quite a bit later but he and his boss were able to track it down with the software their company has. They had eyes on the guy and video taped him unloading the stuff out of the back of the van into his garage while the police were en route. He works for a security company. So kind of stupid to steal a van out of a lot with cameras everywhere and the van you would think may be wired up with something to track it. I do not know what type of services are available for the average joe but the cell phone is a fantastic idea. If anyone is interested I could ask him if the service they used is available to everyone.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL

One more note about cell pinging.........it will only work if the car is within signal distance of a cell tower.......if not it wont work to help you...........

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

383S10 said:
One more note about cell pinging.........it will only work if the car is within signal distance of a cell tower.......if not it wont work to help you...........
and powered on, many times the crook rips the car apart pretty quick and you would be surprised how fast they can find sh*t, I would rather not pay for a cell phone and not use it, there are other ways to get the same result ... cell phone companies are not as eager as one would think to help the police and often times require search warrants or exigent circumstances in order to ping them...

just make your ride harder to steal (unless towed), install a kill switch for the fuel pump (if electric)... if manual you will have to install one at the ignition/ or starter... only issue with that is, you would have to interrupt the wire as close to the starter or fuse panel as possible cause if you tap into it at the column you defeat the purpose of it, as the crook will initially just follow the wire down the column at first attempt to bypass the alarm kill switch (if he wants your car bad enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor