Exhaust Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
Alright guys so i picked up a set of hedman headers from summit.
So im going with duals, no cats, and flowmaster mufflers.
Ive been thinking about running 2 pipes out each side right before the back wheels.
im thinking something kind of like nascar
305848739tnhNPQ_ph.jpg

but instead of oval pipes have them more rounded pipes and cut off flush with the side of the car

i could take it too an exhaust shop to do it
but would it be possible to buy the pipe take measurements and bend the pipe by myself and weld it all together?
has anyone ever done anything like this on a gbody?
if so please post a pic or 2

and tell me what you think of the idea.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we fab our pipes for our race car but for street cars most places have laws about how close the exhaust can exit can be from an opening in the car..... ie door

and the reason why those pipes in the top picture are oval is for ground clearance

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
to me the pipes exiting before the wheels has always been more of a truck thing, you can do what makes you happy its your car i just have always thought it has looked pretty trashy

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Bah....LOL, that was a factory exit point on some of the old E body mopars.

I didn't do it quite like that, I just had one on each side of the car in front of the rear tires. A local muffler shop, if they play by the books, will not do the exhaust you speak of, but if you know the right people they may do it on a sunday afternoon for a case of beer if you know what I mean, lol. What I ended up doing was taking a rough measurement after I put the mufflers on the Intermidiate pipes. Then went to my locakl muffler shop, bought a straight length of 2 1/2" pipe (can't remeber if it was 10 or 12 feet long), had them cut it in half, and bend a 45 mid way down each pipe (leaving plenty of room for trimming on each side). It only cost me about $25, but that was almost ten years ago, lol. I took em home mocked them up, trimmed where I needed to, clamped them on, I didn't have a welder at the time. You could probably do something similar, but make sure you account for your driveshaft, may or may not be in the way. I don't have any pics though, it was before I had a camera on me at all times, :lol: .

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
You run them out the side like that you will eventually get sick of the noise, trust me you will.........I always thought our cars looked pretty sweet them running right out back like the SS Monte Exhaust....The GN exhaust is akso pretty sweet...JMO

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have mine kicked out just behind the back wheels like the original tail pipe on a GP only a bit larger and on both sides

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
Well thanks for the input guys.
I think I can make it work and possibly change some of your opinions at the same time.
I might go with squared tips and still have them flush with this side.
But I know im not going with bling bling chrome tips ill either go stainless or just paint them black.
Black would sort of blend/hide them with the black lower rail below the door.
Oh and im not too much worried about the noise I currently have no muffler just cat under passenger floor and its loud as hell and pops like a glasspack. Lol

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
ElCamMan515 said:
JBreu said:
You run them out the side like that you will eventually get sick of the noise,
Noise??? Its Music To My Ears!!

lol thats sort of where i was at with it
all i have is the cat and nothing after it
lets just say i can hear every sound coming from that thing loud and clear
and i love it!
its also fun to wake up my ******* neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor