Exhaust interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

pic18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2014
I have a completely stock 1986 Grand Prix. I just purchased a Walker factory replacement 442 exhaust system. Will this system designed for a 307 bolt up to my stock 305 with little to no issue? I realize I'll need a hangar for the driver side tail pipe, I'm just hoping everything else will fit. I appreciate anyone who has direct knowledge to reply. Thanks!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe the 307 uses a different converter, otherwise from there back will work fine.

pic18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2014
I bought the y pipe back. My concern is whether or not the y pipe will bolt up to both converters, and whether or not the cat on the olds ends exactly at the same spot as the GP cat.

jerry455

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2006
sterling hts mi
I used a Hooker cat back exhaust on my Grand Prix but I found a Monte SS head pipe and converter in a boneyard. I think the GN had the same outlet on the converter. The olds flange is a 2 bolt with a ball socket while the Monte and GN have a larger oval 4 bolt flange.

pic18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2014
So I figured I'd share my experience for future googlers. I do not know if the catalytic converter on my car is the original or not, but I believe it is. The back side of it has the ball shaped flange. The walker exhaust I purchased for an Olds 442 bolted right up to the cat. Everything fit perfectly on my Grand Prix with the factory 305. The exhaust shop had to fabricate some hangers to bolt up to the correct spot on the tailpipes. The exhaust has a deep mellow sound. It's not too loud, but it would make you think I had more than 140 hp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor