Explorer 8.8 Axle in a G Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I have a Fox 8.8 in my GP. I used the Trick Chassis correction kit linked above, plus their adjustable lower arms so I could more easily center the axle in the wheelwells. This got me on the road back in 2016, albeit with mismatched wheels. In 2017, I then upgraded to a Strange alloy 31-spline axles with c-clip eliminator kit, and a Detroit TrueTrac diff all in one operation... and now I'm back to matched wheels. :)

Reactions: 1 users

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Please elaborate on the term "TRUCK CHASSIS KIT". I hadn't heard of that before you mentioned it. Thanks.
They make an 8.8 swap kit for gbodys which comes with buckets for the upper arms so you can adjust (lower) the angle to fix the instant center issues which contribute to the wheel hop issue. It also includes the adjustable heim joint upper arms.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Mine is from a 98 GT and has 28 spline.

It's funny you say that. Hot Rod says '94+ mustang has 31 spline. Have you had yours apart?
I never bothered to pull mine apart to count them. Just added oil and beat on it. It's held up to really big power in my car whatever it happens to be.

Reactions: 1 user

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
It's funny you say that. Hot Rod says '94+ mustang has 31 spline. Have you had yours apart?
I never bothered to pull mine apart to count them. Just added oil and beat on it. It's held up to really big power in my car whatever it happens to be.
Yes when I rebuilt it then again when I drilled the axles. I had to count the splines because one axle that came with it when I pulled it at the yard already had two set of holes drilled in it?? So I had to grab a third so I could drill my Chevy pattern. I thought about doing the exploder upgrade, but like you said I beat on it with the mustang tires on there and it’s held up great!

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
Just an FYI if you can get the shirt side off another axle from junkyard you won’t have to have the rear shortened. I had one in an s10 just got the tube and an axle from another rear and had rotors re drilled.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Older thread but worth a read. This is more of a common swap these days for the budget minded guy. The 59.5" width is just right for G-Bodies. We spent the last couple months doing several of these swaps with no mods to the Explorer 8.8. Here is a link with all the info needed.
https://southsidemachineperformance.com/products/explorer-88-swap-kit

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Older thread but worth a read. This is more of a common swap these days for the budget minded guy. The 60" width is just right for G-Bodies. We spent the last couple months doing several of these swaps with no mods to the Explorer 8.8. Here is a link with all the info needed.
https://southsidemachineperformance.com/products/explorer-88-swap-kit

So what am I missing here? You say no mods to the explorer rear.....so you installed it "as is" with the pumkin offset to one side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor