f 41 suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
Is there a way to tell how worn out a used set of springs are? I am looking to buy a f41 spring set and sway bars.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, if the car is sitting really low, it probably needs new springs. The sway bars are a safe bet used ( with new hardware and bushings), but I would try to get a new set of springs rather than try to recycle a set that has been under load for 20+ years.

smooth_358

Apprentice
Feb 6, 2008
rosemount, mn
its worth getting the swaybars alone.. i put in the gp front frame horn bar from a gp, with rear sway and my handling on a cloverleaf alone went up probably like 25 mph. plus i still have to install the front 1 1/4 bar for the front. the springs your better off buying moog replacement for 120-150 ish dollars

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I agree. You will simply not believe how much of an improvement the sway bars offer. I had the V6 standard suspension, and it rolled and pitched like a ship on the high seas. Simply adding the sway bars from a V8 car dramatically improved the handling, and cut the amount of understeer the car had. In my opinion, it still needs a larger rear bar to further neutralize the handling, but even the stock piece is a huge improvement.

smooth_358

Apprentice
Feb 6, 2008
rosemount, mn
im still pretty surprised at the handling improvement that i got out of the rear bar and gp brace, as is my roomate with a 2006 gti golf, i was keeping up with him on the cloverleaf and he didnt expect that until i proved it while chasing him down on the onramp

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
What model vehicles and what years have the best sway bar set up for an 87 ElCamino? I would assume that they would be the g body muscle cars, and other models. I don't have any salvage yards close by.
Thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, the obvious answer is a MCSS or a Cutlass 442. However, many G bodies used these bars if they had the handling package. I think I got one of mine from a Grand Prix SJ and another from a Monte Carlo or Cutlass. There are several size differences depending on if it was a V6 or V8 car. The bigger front is a 1.25 in or 1.3 in bar, and is the same as a performance 3rd gen F body (IROC-Z, WS6, Z-28, Trans Am, Formula, etc.). The good rear is a .75in bar, and seems to have only come on V8 cars and Turbo Regals. If you want to go aftermarket, all of the major domestic suspension companies offer similar bars. I have a preference for Global West's products, but I am sure other companies offer good products as well. I would also try to get a steering box off of a performance G body at the same time as there is a huge difference in steering feel. It takes you from about 3.5 turns lock to lock to around 2.5 turns. Another thing to consider at this time is solid tie rod adjuster sleeves. They go for around $50, but with bigger tires they help take some of the flex out of the antiquated pitman arm steering linkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor