F41 steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The steering box in the '83 H/O leaks all the fluid out at the steering shaft input. How hard is this to fix? A rebuild of the box? What parts are necessary? Source(s)? Should I just get a used one to replace it?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're probably better off getting a fresh rebuilt box from Advance or Autozone...or if someone locally is parting out a Monte SS, 442, H/O, GN/ T-Type, IROC or Z28 Camaro, Firebird T/A..etc.
You're going to want the quick ratio box approx. 2.5 turns lock to lock.
I don't think rebuild kits are available for them over the counter.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's not a big job to change that seal but it's usually leaking for a reason, something is worn causing it to leak. I agree with Jack that it would be better to buy a rebuilt box. I have a Z box and it's leaking from the input shaft, that seal assembly is $178 on it's own so I'll be changing the box before I do that repair.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
It's not a big job to change that seal but it's usually leaking for a reason, something is worn causing it to leak. I agree with Jack that it would be better to buy a rebuilt box. I have a Z box and it's leaking from the input shaft, that seal assembly is $178 on it's own so I'll be changing the box before I do that repair.
Steve,
I was thinking the same thought, that something broke internally...a bearing let go perhaps and destroyed the seal...something of that nature.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
*Shrug* Mine is starting to leak too. Good timing on the thread. I'll just get a Monte SS box from O'Rielly

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; My new favorite subject, "steering boxes". Has anyone used a AGR box? I called them last year and they will put a unit together with a spool valve of your choice, and he gave me a number of choices. I'm lead to believe that the AGR unit is made better with higher precision bearings and an additional row of support bearings? Has anyone had any of these units apart including GM units? AGR units are very competitively priced. My OE isn't leaking yet but may be the oldest moving part on my car. And time is up 34+ years it's sloppy. Of course many of us have been spoiled be some nice racks. procircuit if you see this what box are you using? Anyone using a parts store unit here chime in, good results or not so happy? I had heard & I'm not sure if this is a good story or BS. Anyway some late model GM truck (late 90s or early 2000s?) the last boxes before they went to racks. Were made with modern precise tooling and have the best feel? Also they cost $600 to $700 bucks? And they are very light duty and don't stay precise very long. Can anyone put some light on this issue? Bob Jr.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
A Lares rebuilt box from Advance is $173. There is a "Powercraft Steering Gear Major Seal Kit" one for $16 and one for $32. I wonder what these kits include and how hard it is to service these units. Is this service in the chassis service manual? My manual is not handy as it is at my rental shop. I will check it tomorrow.

Atsco has rebuilt ones for $107+$25 core from rockauto.com... hmmmm...

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor