factory floor shift mated to 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
so what I want to know is who has accomplished this running a factory floor shifter to a 700r4 transmission.

what shift cable did you use and what brackets did you use

I'm in the middle of this swap and, hung up as the cable that I'm using does not reach the transmission bracket.

I have several brackets and cables from factory floor shift g bodys 200r4 and th350.
Only In a perfect world everything would bolt right up.
I've even tried a mixture of the two brackets to maybe create a custom set up but still nothing.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I used regular cutlass shifter for 200-4r to mate up to my 700r-4. I used shifter cable, cable pan bracket, shift lever and TV cable off an 84 camaro with 700r-4. Everything works perfect. There is enough play between detents to be in correct spot. The only thing I had to do was alter stock shifter where cable locks in because 700r-4 shifter cable is a little larger at shifter. I have console out of the car at the moment I'll snap a pic or two tomorrow of what it looks like.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
my GP originally used a th350
the 700r4 that is now installed is from a 3rd gen (82-92) Firebird

I used the factory shifter from that car. To use it with my center consoul, I had to create a mounting bracket for the front only to attach the shifter to the floor. I used the cable from that car as well. I opened the clear shift indicator plastic and put in a PR[D]D21 slip, and had to extend the slider on this piece to catch the shifter arm, so that it would register the right shift points on the indicator.
sorry for the bad picture, but here's the only one I have
9.jpg

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
Sweet fellas thanks for all the info
84cut: I'd really appreciate those pictures if u can snap one were the cable clips into transmission pan.

Khoan: thanks for for thic pic and info

Ill be hitting the jnk yard in a bit to search for these parts hope you he 700r4 are plentiful

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
84cutspreme said:
I used regular cutlass shifter for 200-4r to mate up to my 700r-4. I used shifter cable, cable pan bracket, shift lever and TV cable off an 84 camaro with 700r-4. Everything works perfect. There is enough play between detents to be in correct spot. The only thing I had to do was alter stock shifter where cable locks in because 700r-4 shifter cable is a little larger at shifter. I have console out of the car at the moment I'll snap a pic or two tomorrow of what it looks like.

so went to the yard got cable.p.b from a 92 firebird bought shifter cable from autozone I have a floor shifter from a 2004r monte carlo made the hole larger with my uni bit.

cable p.b. mounted up fine under car. but when it came time to insert the cable in the hole and link it to side of floor shifter it was of by a half an inch (the eye doesn't slip on the nipple) :?: so now im puzzled maybe I need to get a 200-4r shifter from a cutlass but I imagine the shifters would be the same some let me know if im wrong or maybe I can get the shifter from the firebird is not like anyone would see it... :blam: but im about to pop a blood vessel this is driving me nuts. if anyone ones to jump in with 2 cents please do.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
bleedchevy said:
84cutspreme said:

so went to the yard got cable.p.b from a 92 firebird bought shifter cable from autozone I have a floor shifter from a 2004r monte carlo made the hole larger with my uni bit.

cable p.b. mounted up fine under car. but when it came time to insert the cable in the hole and link it to side of floor shifter it was of by a half an inch (the eye doesn't slip on the nipple) :?: so now im puzzled maybe I need to get a 200-4r shifter from a cutlass but I imagine the shifters would be the same some let me know if im wrong or maybe I can get the shifter from the firebird is not like anyone would see it... :blam: but im about to pop a blood vessel this is driving me nuts. if anyone ones to jump in with 2 cents please do.

just read you post again what is the "shift lever" you spoke about?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Sorry for taking so long, been a lil busy. Okay the shift lever is what the cable end attaches to on the transmission...and I forgot that I bent a piece of metal and made a hole, then welded it onto 2004r shifter. Here are pics, and sorry if they aren't the clearest...camera phone

P.S. - I wanted to swap shifters to camaro shifter, but found it is much taller and wouldn't fit under my console. I wanted to replace microswitches I installed for park lock and reverse lights to get the neutral safety switch that attaches to camaro shifter...so unless you want to put camaro console in, scratch getting camaro shifter. The only small issue with shifter is because I have OD sticker on 3spd underlay piece my shifter lights up OD & D halfway when in OD, and just a little off down the line to 1. No problem with shifts in trans, just gotta get used to it. I'm in the process of trying to remedy the issue, but as far as I'm concerned that's a cosmetic thing...Biggest thing is I retain stock console and stock look inside.
001.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

0326002052.jpg

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
so I got up yesterday and I went got the factory shifter from the Firebird and installed it shifts seems to works fine I may need to cut out a larger hole on the console plate and run a boot to cover it but all in all I think it's going to work out great thanks guys for your help

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Did you add the micro switches to your shifter, or were they originally equipped? The reason I ask is because I'm going to go with a Monte SS shifter to replace the Hurst in my car currently. The Hurst uses the micro switches for the neutral safety switch and backup lights instead of the switches incorporated in the column.
It would be nice if i didn't have to connect the stock linkage and rod to the column. I kinda like the micro switch method.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I installed microswitches in my olds shifter. Camaro shifters have the neutral safety switch mounted directly to the side of the shifter
$%28KGrHqZHJEME92Bd2D%29,BPiJrBu1m!~~60_12.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor