Fan belts -cogged vs. smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I got my AC working a couple years back I tried Dayco, Goodyear, and whatever off brand the parts guy swore would work and they all would all start to flop and squeal once the weather got hot. I ended up using a timing belt tensioner pully I had left over from my boat ( 2.3 volvo ). Slid a nut and bolt thru it and placed it in the groove the AC is adjusted on to put a little extra tension on the bolt and take the slop out. Worked great until my compressor decided it had enough and seized.
Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback. I have noticed when the A/C is engaged the belt does tend to flop around, despite of how tight I try to tighten it. When the compressor is not engaged, the belt seems to run nice and true. Only under a load it acts like it's loose.
It's funny, where the belt spans between the compressor and pulley, it looks like it could use an idler pulley.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
lets see if the link works. Damn that was 5 years ago......

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
lets see if the link works. Damn that was 5 years ago......

Axis,
You've described it to a T. It seems like a common problem with this particular setup. Thank you for finding the old thread. That's extremely helpful.
It looks like the idler pulley addition is a win and relatively easy to bolt on. Thank you again for that tip. Now to find a pulley setup that will do the trick.
Thank you again my friend. I appreciate it.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A good quality belt is your best bet. Proper tension and alignment for long life. Sounds as if your belt is slipping causing the screeching. That may be coming from a compressor trying to work too hard as well (potential end of life). Cogged belts apparently are designed to bend easier than non cogged. And there are claims of better efficiency and running cooler. Meh, not so sure. Maybe, but I've had good luck with Gates, Goodyear and GM factory junk.

3.25 lbs R-12 from empty. Approximate. If using the small cans, a little over 4.

R-134a? Somewhat less. Around 2.8 lbs thereabouts.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A good quality belt is your best bet. Proper tension and alignment for long life. Sounds as if your belt is slipping causing the screeching. That may be coming from a compressor trying to work too hard as well (potential end of life). Cogged belts apparently are designed to bend easier than non cogged. And there are claims of better efficiency and running cooler. Meh, not so sure. Maybe, but I've had good luck with Gates, Goodyear and GM factory junk.

3.25 lbs R-12 from empty. Approximate. If using the small cans, a little over 4.

R-134a? Somewhat less. Around 2.8 lbs thereabouts.
Thank you sir. I'd hate to think that the compressor is on the verge of quitting. I know I should've gone with a good quality Sanden compressor, but figured I already had all the proper brackets, etc... what do I have to lose? However, I've heard that R-4's don't have great longevity. :(
I will give the cogged belt a try.
Oh, and thank you for the refrigerant amounts. Btw, I'm using R-134A.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor