Fast Idle Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourkemaster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2009
State College, PA
82 Cutlass Supreme 3.8 Auto. Seemingly more often the car keeps kicking into fast idle. Sometimes I can kick it down, sometimes I cant. This happens at random, not just when the car is cold, but its definitely becoming more frequent. Any ideas?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
the fast idle refers to your choke... it raises rpms (faster) until it warms up, then steps it back down to curb idle. What do you mean by 'kicking into fast idle'?

...if it is something wrong with the choke, just set it so the choke is off & warm it up with the throttle

Bourkemaster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2009
State College, PA
The car has an automatic choke so I cant control any of that. Usually I race the engine once and the car will then settle to curb idle. That's usually ok. However, if I'm driving along sometimes the car will rev up again like its trying to warm up. So in gear, the rpm starts increases (bad for driving in town). When I get to my location and put the car in park, the engine starts revving up wildly. I try to kick it down to curb idle again but cant, so I usually try to kill it quick. I cant tell you just what the tach is reading, since I have the useless gauge pack. Could the automatic choke be bad? Is this an ECM problem?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
What position is your HVAC control in? If you're using one of the air-conditioning settings, the computer will bump up the idle speed automatically to compensate for the added load on the motor.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Late model chokes can be modified to be adjustable. It's a bit of a chore, as you have to carefully drill out the rivets, tap threads in the rivet holes and replace with machine screws, actually returning to the 70's setup. There are index marks cast on the choke housing as reference points. My typical starting point is to set the choke blade just barely closed at 70-75 degrees ambient temp, then fine tune from that point. Most later chokes are set way too rich to overcompensate for cold stumble problems. Adjusting the choke, verifying operation of the choke heating element and making sure the fast idle cams and linkages are clean and free should cure your issues.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor