• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The key to full boost by the top of first is a blower lmao
Whoa whoa there (hehe). I found something this week (that I will reveal later after a further study of the logs.) I made full boost twice before the top of 1st gear - 24 psi.

You

You are using 1150lb/hr of fuel!?

That was a very fast pass considering the 60'. 144mph is moving.
According to the Holley, yes 1100-1150. It ran out at 1200 (for split second).

And I want to say, ‘I found’ 3 things in a couple of days with some help from friends - Jake , Bruce (fleming442) and Frank (from YB - LS3fox username). Each one of them gave me some advice and answers to some questions that helped me a ton.

wingnutks Do you think my 60’ is too slow for stripe speed? If yes, then hold on - I turned it down to keep from running out of fuel to get the 144. I think (me thinking is scary) I can get close to chute territory with another pump which should get me another 5psi ‘safely’.

*note I’m using the word ‘safely’ in a loose fashion - 33-34psi and safely on a SBE is going to shock the hell out of me, but I was SHOCKED to to see a 1.4 60’, a 9.4 and 144 trap speed. I thought they handed me the wrong slip!

Reactions: 5 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Whoa whoa there (hehe). I found something this week (that I will reveal later after a further study of the logs.) I made full boost twice before the top of 1st gear - 24 psi.

According to the Holley, yes 1100-1150. It ran out at 1200 (for split second).

And I want to say, ‘I found’ 3 things in a couple of days with some help from friends - Jake , Bruce (fleming442) and Frank (from YB - LS3fox username). Each one of them gave me some advice and answers to some questions that helped me a ton.

wingnutks Do you think my 60’ is too slow for stripe speed? If yes, then hold on - I turned it down to keep from running out of fuel to get the 144. I think (me thinking is scary) I can get close to chute territory with another pump which should get me another 5psi ‘safely’.

*note I’m using the word ‘safely’ in a loose fashion - 33-34psi and safely on a SBE is going to shock the hell out of me, but I was SHOCKED to to see a 1.4 60’, a 9.4 and 144 trap speed. I thought they handed me the wrong slip!
60' is pretty good, but it should be faster given ur trap speed. 144 trap speed should be closer to a 1.30 60' and a 9.2x. Your very close and it's definitely not slow by any means.

Something else is wrong. My cousin has a Mustang, definitely lighter than you but not a feather weight... Say 3200-3300lbs. He used ~1200lb/hr to go 144mph...in the 1/8. If ur holley is showing 1200lb/hr ur either running down the track ungodly rich or ur injector numbers are wrong. For my cousins turbo Ford it looks like his 1200lb/hr fuel is just about 1350-1400hp at the crank. My car went 146mph on this pulley when it was carbed and right now I'm 11.4:1 afr at peak boost and right at 960lb/hr, and that's with a blower. I am right around 1:1 but I'm also loosing 50-75hp to the crank because of the blower.

1100hp@3700lbs is 155mph. If all those numbers are legit something is up with the transmission/drivetrain.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
wingnutks

I will be the 1st to admit, all I have is guesses about HP. I’ve read, repeat read, in many places two things : E85 is about 1hp/lb, and these pumps are good to 550 a piece. Seeing numbers that that added up lead me the *ss U ME ption that the estimates were close - I know what they say about assumptions.

EDIT ^^^this is not very accurate. I was not using 1100 lbs/hr and these pumps will not make 550 a piece boosted on E85. The pump comment was internet lore and I shouldn't repeat that garbage when I don't know for sure.

I’m 100% sure that I have slip speed and 1/4 time to drop in the suspension, timing and boost control. I mentioned Frank from YB previously, he looked at me cross eyed when I told him my speed and time at 27 psi. He set me straight, with real life experience with timing numbers. I split the difference from what he told me I could run to what I added and I’m sure he was correct based on the results. I’ve reached out to a local, professional tuner to get it on a dyno to properly tune it (plug reading and the such) . I’m sure I have a bunch left on the table. But for events like this (Drag Week) I think it’s more about finishing than hitting a number.

I reached out to a tuner because I’m ready to try both - finishing and hitting a number. I think I have close to an 8 in this with more pump, some simple and affordable suspension mods, and a proper tune. I’ve been backyard and ‘on ramp’ tuning this for too long. I’m not unhappy with the results - but I know there is more left in it - safely. And FWIW, I’ve been waiting to get it to this point where I know I’m over my head.

I really appreciate your response :)

Edit - I forgot to mention- I sprayed the same amount of meth as I always do (a conservative amount for safety detonation purposes) and the IAT’s stayed the same. I implied from that the turbo is no where near done yet. The S475 turned the intake temps into incinerator like temps when it was done, so that’s the basis that the S488 still has more too go at 29.5 psi.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
wingnutks

I will be the 1st to admit, all I have is guesses about HP. I’ve read, repeat read, in many places two things : E85 is about 1hp/lb, and these pumps are good to 550 a piece. Seeing numbers that that added up lead me the *ss U ME ption that the estimates were close - I know what they say about assumptions.

I’m 100% sure that I have slip speed and 1/4 time to drop in the suspension, timing and boost control. I mentioned Frank from YB previously, he looked at me cross eyed when I told him my speed and time at 27 psi. He set me straight, with real life experience with timing numbers. I split the difference from what he told me I could run to what I added and I’m sure he was correct based on the results. I’ve reached out to a local, professional tuner to get it on a dyno to properly tune it (plug reading and the such) . I’m sure I have a bunch left on the table. But for events like this (Drag Week) I think it’s more about finishing than hitting a number.

I reached out to a tuner because I’m ready to try both - finishing and hitting a number. I think I have close to an 8 in this with more pump, some simple and affordable suspension mods, and a proper tune. I’ve been backyard and ‘on ramp’ tuning this for too long. I’m not unhappy with the results - but I know there is more left in it - safely. And FWIW, I’ve been waiting to get it to this point where I know I’m over my head.

Edit - I forgot to mention- I sprayed the same amount of meth as I always do (a conservative amount for safety detonation purposes) and the IAT’s stayed the same. I implied from that the turbo is no where near done yet. The S475 turned the intake temps into incinerator like temps when it was done, so that’s the basis that the S488 still has more too go at 29.5 psi.
If you were over your head your rods would have told you by now lol. I think your on the right track and track tuning is by far the best way to go.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
wingnutks

It's time for the Dyno, a good tuner, a backpressure sensors and coolant pressure sensor.

I'm willing to bet money those pumps aren't limiting you.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Please see my edit on post #76. I gave some bad info that I'll gladly explain in detail if anyone is interested. I really want to try to be accurate in my comments, and I wasn't their.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

Missed it by that much
PXL_20220925_192753584.jpg

PXL_20220925_190800803.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor