Feels Like a Part Throttle Miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
-86SS, 305, stock, all emissions in place.
While cruising today around 40mph I noticed it feels like an intermittent miss every few seconds but not steady - every 100 or 200 feet. At that speed the torque converter is locked. I thought it may be roughness on the road. Idle seems smooth, no CEL, 1/2 tank - just noticed that today. I actually have not peeked under the hood yet. Has lots of power at WOT. Plugs were gapped and cleaned perhaps 500 miles ago.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would look at a plug wire or a cracked spark plug porcelain. Spray soapy water on plugs and wire boots at night while engine is idling to see if you have a miss

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
While dark it's easier to see wire or plug arcing. I sprayed the wires, dist and plugs with water mist= no blue arcing or snapping sound heard. I just returned from a test drive and I don't think I felt any miss. The weather is dry - no humidity to cause electrical problem.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
While dark it's easier to see wire or plug arcing. I sprayed the wires, dist and plugs with water mist= no blue arcing or snapping sound heard. I just returned from a test drive and I don't think I felt any miss. The weather is dry - no humidity to cause electrical problem.

May have had a piece of carbon or some trash. Hopefully it is gone

malibu79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Check definitly the plugs and wires...i had issues after installing new wires and got 2 of them crossed what he obviously didnt`t like:cautious: Also had one or two plugs missing under load at 40-60mph and new plugs fixed it! Your problem is 95% ignition related, Check or change plugs and/or wires and you´re fine...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we had a problem with an intermittent miss on our G body (metric) circle track car and it turned out to be the ignition module

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor