Fender antenna change

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Well I want to change my fender mounted antenna, but I've yet to change one, so what is the best way to do this? I looked for it in the archive but couldn't find anything on it. Thanks!

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
what are you looking to change it to? a windsheild antenna or a standard mounted one? if you take out the old one there will be a hole and you can mount it there.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
GhettoRacingKid said:
what are you looking to change it to? a windsheild antenna or a standard mounted one? if you take out the old one there will be a hole and you can mount it there.
I just want to change it to a new one that I have, the one that is on there now is aftermarket and cheap, the round part that should be chromed metal is just cheap plastic and it is cracked. So I have to change the whole thing. What do I need to do? Remove the inner fender well? Or can i get at it from the engine bay? They don't make it easy to change as it is bolted up inside the fender.

When I did mine I pulled the fender off to separate the inner and outer. I think I have seen guys that have taken the outer off separately. I remember it was a lot to take apart for just the stupid antenna.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
That's what I was hoping I didn't have to do.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
yeah it's alot of work! :? I pulled a power antenna and wiring harness from a GP to install on mine but decided not to cuz of the work involved. NOW i am considering the windshield one like my old 79 GP had and welding up the fender hole, so does a 79 GP windshield fit a 85 GP? it was practically invisible 8)

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
85GPLef41 said:
yeah it's alot of work! :? I pulled a power antenna and wiring harness from a GP to install on mine but decided not to cuz of the work involved. NOW i am considering the windshield one like my old 79 GP had and welding up the fender hole, so does a 79 GP windshield fit a 85 GP? it was practically invisible 8)
Yes I am sure it does as many of the 70's parts were interchangeable to the 80's. My '77' GP had a windshield antenna but the reception was not as good so I added an antenna to the back trunk and got one of those 2 into 1 antenna adapters so then I had twice the reception. It was one of those antennas with a spring that looks like a CB antenna. (see the pic).
77GP.jpg

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Any 2 door g body windshield will fit from 78 to 88 only differences are with or without antenna and tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor