Few questions before engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Hey guys I'm going to be swapping out my 305 for a 350 and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.. You know the small stuff. I will be putting in a 1971 350 with an Edelbrock Torker II intake matched to a holley 650 carb with mechanical secondaries. Engine came with an HEI Distributor as well.

Now I have a list with some things I will have to buy for the swap and they include :
Motor mounts
Torque Converter
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
TV Cable bracket

My only concerns were some of the fittings really.. I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy some type fuel line Kit to hook up for the holley carb? What about the metal brake booster vacuum line? Will the factory battery/tach plugs match to the HEI Distrubor? I also noticed the thermostat housing has a plug on it.. Is that the sensor for the temp gauge? My new house doesn't have a hole for that. Lastly but not least, just above where the oil filter goes I see a small screw with a square screw fitting (not a Phillips or flathead just a square screwdriver bore) - is this for the oil pressure?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Everything from your 305 should bolt to your 350. Its a bolt in swap

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What year is your 305? Depending on it's year you may need a different flexplate. In 86 SBCs went to a 1 piece rear seal that uses a different crankshaft flange and flexplate/flywheel design than the older 2 piece rear seal blocks.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Going in a 85 so i should be good!

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I think the fitting on top of the thermostat housing is for a thermal vacuum switch that controls the heat riser system for quick warm up. When the thermostat opens the switch sensor heats and shuts off the heat riser manifold valve. Temp gauge sensors are usually in the driver side head between the first two spark plugs.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The first thing that came to mind was if you have the correct throttle cable end on the Holley. It bolts to the Holley then clips to the cable like the factory one. There's also a factory end for the TV cable. Holley sells them for multiple carbs. I installed thses a few years back on a customer's car. Can't remember the part numbers to save my life. :roll: As far as the rest, just duplicate the 305's wiring as best as you can.
Here's some pics of it.

Attachments

• DSC00780.JPG
    DSC00780.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC00781.JPG
    DSC00781.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 396

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Thanks, that's definitely nice to know! I'm going to be deleting the computer and all that jazz so I can just get rid of that heat riser stuff right? Also ditching the air pump and smog, along with the EGR as well. Trying to keep the bay as clean as possible :)

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Is the 305 harmonic balancer interchangeable with the 350 ? The 350 came with one but its painted orange and I'm really not a fan. The 305 only had 79k on it and would prefer to just re use that one if I can.

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Im not sure what youre running for a radiator, but if its one of those stock ones, ditch it for a nice 3 core. Champion makes a good one and its only around $200 after shipping. I used it for my swap this summer and the car never goes above 180 degrees

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Champion- ... 1338269482

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor