figure out lights strobing 87 SS ElCamino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellyisis

n00b
Aug 12, 2008
Feasterville,Pa
Hello to anyone or "L" owners.. I just bought an 87 SS from it's orig owner 72 year old owner.It's a 5.0 305 V-8 w/101,000 miles(all hwy). I just replaced the starter & battery which were orig to car. When the car is in idle the interior,headlights & dash lights strobe. Does ne one have any suggestions to help resolve prob? Also this was occuring before I replaced those 2 items. Strobing is cool for a club,but for driving at night:D

antysmithers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2008
Tarentum, PA
sounds like the alternator isnt putting off enough charge, have you tested its output.

Bellyisis

n00b
Aug 12, 2008
Feasterville,Pa
Barely Legal Welding said:
did it do it before you cahnged the bat and alt? How where the cables clean or corroded?

Richie
yes, it did strobe before starter & battery were replaced.
I had the alt checked and was told it was fine.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
lights

what your looking for is a bad ground,the dome light system and dash lights work off of a ground, the dome light works off the door jam switch. the dash lights work off the head light switch, but if you turn the head light switch to the left you can turn the dome light on ,does this make sense to you? the ground for the switch is on the a-pillar under the kick panel{driver side} the dome light gets it's ground from the jam switch,if everthing is right when you open the door the jam switch complelets the circuit by grounding! now the dash lights gets it's ground though the switch.this means that when you turn the knob to the left it goes though the reaostat,i know that is spelled wrong, all i can say is that it's a b*tch getting old :D this is were most people get confused the {reaostst} doesn't control power but controls the amount of ground given to the dash lights i hope this helps you,let me know what you find or if you need more help...jesse

Bellyisis

n00b
Aug 12, 2008
Feasterville,Pa
Re: lights

JESSE said:
what your looking for is a bad ground,the dome light system and dash lights work off of a ground, the dome light works off the door jam switch. the dash lights work off the head light switch, but if you turn the head light switch to the left you can turn the dome light on ,does this make sense to you? the ground for the switch is on the a-pillar under the kick panel{driver side} the dome light gets it's ground from the jam switch,if everthing is right when you open the door the jam switch complelets the circuit by grounding! now the dash lights gets it's ground though the switch.this means that when you turn the knob to the left it goes though the reaostat,i know that is spelled wrong, all i can say is that it's a b*tch getting old :D this is were most people get confused the {reaostst} doesn't control power but controls the amount of ground given to the dash lights i hope this helps you,let me know what you find or if you need more help...jesse
I will check this out this weekend and let you know. Thank you all so much for your help. Hey that me ask for opionions...
Should I keep El in OE condition or mod it? Mine in is in great shape with a little clean up I could show as is or take years to customize it Wathca yall think??????? :lol:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you have a multi-meter set it to A/C and connect it to the alternator. you should get 0v maybe .5v, any more means the rectifier is bad. this causes an A/C waveform or pulsing to go through the system but it's hard to pick up on basic test equipment unless you really know what to look for. it will usually be worst at idle and the strobing will either go away or just get faster relative to the RPM increase. (once it hits about 60Hz you can't tell it's flashing--it looks steady and normal)
also check your grounds as stated by JESSE, one might be loose or highly corroded. do this even if the alternator is bad. an A/C waveform can cause some screwy things to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor