First Car Project 81 El Camino no Motor or Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Great find! Now's a perfect time to clean up the engine bay and front end while the motor is out. Power wash everything and paint with something like VHT epoxy. Then no matter what motor you choose, it will look great in there.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
I agree, also, that 350's are boring. But, you cant beat them for affordability and ease of repair. You can find parts for them everywhere. However... If it's going to be a show car, you cant beat the LS engines as eye-candy. You are already missing the harness, so you are halfway there. A good LS-2/6.0 engine / trans / harness / ecm. will cost you around 2,000. The parts to make it fit and work will cost you around 1,000. Good luck, either way!

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
well since theres no motor or trans in the way id say start painting the frame and do an undercoat on the body and paint the engine bay. then replace the body bushings and other bushings while yer there. just so ya got a "gooder" base to start with.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I agree with 85brougham... being your first project keep it simple...I bought my regal that had already been converted from 231 to 305, so when I came across my 327 i a trade, the hard work was already done, just a simple swap right? WRONG!

you don't think of the exaust upgrade needed for a warmer motor... you don't think of what brackets you'll need, or need to scrounge/fabricate... my 327 heads do not have the holes drilled for brackets, and thankfull after 2 years of cobbling& contemplating hacking a couple brakets, fodoimp turned me onto some nice brackets that'll have a nice look to them, and not like a redneck like me got ahold of a torch and welder!

long idea short, think simplicity/compatability/ease/ and speed of install... I've wanted several times to just give up on the regal, but love it too much to give it up, and it's only seen street use a couple times in 5 years... the guys in here are great motivators, great opinions, and all of us has been against the wall on one segment or the other on our builds, so take advantage of the knowledge in here, and last but not least, welcome to your new home! :D

Darin

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
One of the key things to remember with a Small Block Chevy (SBC) is that, yes there is a lot of interchange, but no, not everything fits every year of engine. So, while you technically can use ANY short block, you can't use any heads, oil pan or intake on any SBC as some things were changed over the years. You will need the later heads with the 3 bolt holes in the ends for the late accessory drive setup, and you will probably want to either go with a late serpentine accessory drive, or a V belt one for an R-4 A/C compressor as these parts are the easiest to find. Within that though there are myriad little details you will have to conquer like hoses for power steering, A/C, etc. Just be sure to get a complete accessory drive setup from one complete car, and pull everything down to the bolts. Some fasteners will be specific to a certain job and were made for GM especially for it. Hardware stores will not be able to help you if you do not carefully remove (and preferably label) the bolts. As for engines, I like the 327 for a lot of reasons, but for a first timer go 350. If you don't use a 350, be sure to get a engine with a minimum of a 4 in bore (302,327,350,400) as smaller bores will restrict breathing.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
I've seen that before. It's an expensive swap, though.

just plain john

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2009
Pasadena TX
I dunno, I got the engine and trans complete (intact and never seperated) with harnesses, radiator, sway bars, exhaust, and misc. bits and pieces out of a 72K mile car for $2500. The rear was $800, with an extra set of aluminum drums. I have spent more on a front end rebuild, body bushings, rear bumper, powdercoating, yada, yada, yada and still need paint. Motor and trans found on craigslist, as was the rear (had to drive to Austin to get it) but it just goes to show it can be done. I realize I was fortunate to find the wrecked GN when I did. There's no reason you can't. IJust last week I found an 86 engine (no trans) for $900, and just now I found this: http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1353856919.html. That ones a hot air motor, but comes with the GN trans (coded BRF). Build an sbc and trans, plus the rear. It'll cost at least that much.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
You were lucky! I was going to do the 3.8 sfi turbo route a few years ago for my 90 RS camaro and the best I could get a complete motor for (No harness, ecm, trans.) was around $3,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor