FiTech/fuel pump issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
I have the same or similar EFI system FiTech. It worked fine for bout a day then started doing what urs was doing. The system was brand new from Summit. As u can see in photo to left went on my SS. Turns out the pump was bad wouldn't hold pressure ran like crap. So contacted Summit they sent me a new pump for the EFI runs great that maybe ur problem as well. Just a thought. I have no regulator or pressure gauge FYI I hear it & the vac pump come on each pump up & that's it no more noise.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
A lot of great tips there. One thing I did that I should not have not right away is started fiddling with different settings and stuff and threw everything off. Drive it for a bit before making changes. Let the computer learn how your car runs then go from there if you decide to fine tune after. I ended up resetting it back to factory default and only entered the initial set up stuff and it got better each time I took it for a spin.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have the same or similar EFI system FiTech. It worked fine for bout a day then started doing what urs was doing. The system was brand new from Summit. As u can see in photo to left went on my SS. Turns out the pump was bad wouldn't hold pressure ran like crap. So contacted Summit they sent me a new pump for the EFI runs great that maybe ur problem as well. Just a thought. I have no regulator or pressure gauge FYI I hear it & the vac pump come on each pump up & that's it no more noise.
Thanks for the input. It's always nice when someone else has the same issue as me lol.

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the feed port of the throttle body and it reads between 35-40 psi at idle. It's been like that since I got it running. The bouncing is due to the radical idle but it still seems too low since the system supposedly needs 58psi.

When I messed with it yesterday it seemed like the issue came out a lot sooner. I changed thermostats so after I let it warm up, pop the T-stat and topped it off with coolant I took it for a spin and the problem was there right away so it appears to be getting worse. I pulled apart my fuel filters to find the pre filter containing quite a bit of metal shavings. I would assume from when I drilled the tank for the sump. I must have missed a bunch of debris. My bad. Maybe some got through the filter and killed the pump?

I still am not having any luck getting a hold of FiTech. Tried calling 3 different tech's, email, facebook message, and a facebook post on their wall asking if they even had anyone working there anymore. Im getting pissed off that I haven't been able to talk to anyone in over a week.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I finally got a hold of FiTech. After leaving message after message to 3 different tech's, facebook messages, facebook page posts, and emails I finally got a hold of a human being. I have a new fuel pump on the way so I hope that fixes my issues.

I took apart and cleaned my fuel filters only to find a few metal shavings in the pre-pump filter. Not sure if they were all caught in the filter or if that's what ate the pump up. The shavings I imagine are from when I cut and drilled for the sump. Im hoping that's the issue because if it isn't im back to square one.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
If your fuel pressure is that low and it's supposed to be 58psi, it's definitely affecting the way your car runs. Get your fuel pressure back to spec and it should cure your problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If your fuel pressure is that low and it's supposed to be 58psi, it's definitely affecting the way your car runs. Get your fuel pressure back to spec and it should cure your problem.
Fuel pressure is fine.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I broke the cardinal rule of not keeping you guys updated. I replaced the fuel pump with a new one from Fitech. Fitech sent me a replacement under warranty which was cool. Been 1500 trouble free miles since and no issues. I do have a cold start issue where I have to baby sit it for a few minutes but other than that it's great. Great AFR's and im knocking down a solid(not really) 8.5 mpg's.

I still gotta get to the track but for now im just enjoying it.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Great AFR's and im knocking down a solid(not really) 8.5 mpg's.
So what was your mpg with your carb set up before going EFI?
I am considering going with a Fitech on my Regal later on so I want the expense to be worth it and I definitely don't want cold start issues.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
So what was your mpg with your carb set up before going EFI?
I am considering going with a Fitech on my Regal later on so I want the expense to be worth it and I definitely don't want cold start issues.
Not sure what my mileage was before. It was way rich and I was still tuning it when I wrecked it.

The cold start issue can be fixed I just have to dick with it more. My neighbor has the 600hp kit on his 69 Satellite and he doesn't have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor