FiTech/fuel pump issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im finally getting around to putting miles on my car with the FiTech setup on it. The other day about 15-20 minutes into a cruise I noticed my fuel pump seemingly getting louder as I drove. It went from being unnoticeable with the engine running to sounding like static coming from the rear speakers. I have the FiTech inline pump mounted in the spare tire well. A little while later the engine would stumble if I floored it suddenly. It was fine if I slowly laid into it. Then a little while after that I couldn't take it above 1800 rpm without the engine stalling out only to kick back on when I let off the throttle.

I finally limped it home, put it in park and everything was fine. Revs to 7500 rpm with no stumble or other issues.

I have already contacted FiTech and they say it sounds like the fuel pump is getting hot. Either from aerated fuel or a restriction. Anyone with EFI have any input? I have a stock tank, half full, with a baffled sump welded in, -6 braided line from the sump to the pre-filter to the pump to the after filter to the engine. A pretty basic setup. I have the fuel pump wired up to a kill switch on the ground wire in the dash. No matter which way the switch is toggled the fuel pump still works, that didn't make sense to me being a 2 wire pump. Any ideas?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The fuel pump should be no more than about 18" from the tanks lowest point. Do you have a filter? hows the direction? Is the ground good? what fuel psi are you getting. I also have a fitech. I used the gn tank and sender with an aeromotive stealth pump. It's been reliable so far.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I experienced it once , same as you did , pump was getting hot as it's way out , do you have a pressure regulator , l could watch the pressure regulator drop when noise got loud, sounded like ginding gears but pulsed. When the engine isn't under load it's easier to rev up.

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
If your not running a return line, I think you have to set the pump with the hand held controller to pulse setting. I'm running this setup on my dads car with their fuel command setup and no return. I remember changing the pump per instructions.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The fuel pump should be no more than about 18" from the tanks lowest point. Do you have a filter? hows the direction? Is the ground good? what fuel psi are you getting. I also have a fitech. I used the gn tank and sender with an aeromotive stealth pump. It's been reliable so far.
The pump is literally right next to the tank in the spare tire well. Fuel filters are the right way, no pressure gauge in the car but I have one on the engine. It's fine at idle or any rpm in park. My issues only seem to happen under load and after driving for a bit. Im having a hard time getting a hold of FiTech. Been on hold for 30+ minutes twice today and no response to my emails.

Does anyone have an explanation for the fuel pump still running when the kill switch is toggled? It's like it doesn't change a thing.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If your not running a return line, I think you have to set the pump with the hand held controller to pulse setting. I'm running this setup on my dads car with their fuel command setup and no return. I remember changing the pump per instructions.
I have a return line

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I experienced it once , same as you did , pump was getting hot as it's way out , do you have a pressure regulator , l could watch the pressure regulator drop when noise got loud, sounded like ginding gears but pulsed. When the engine isn't under load it's easier to rev up.
FiTech has pressure regulator in the throttle body, no external regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor