FiTech or???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For myself, I have the 400 HP FI Tech Throttle Body setup. Things to deal with include, fuel delivery. I went initially with the booster pump and am now eliminating it in favor of a Holley Retrofit in tank. The first gen booster did not have internal baffles and could starve the motor during stop and go commuter driving, unexpected STOP RIGHT NOW!! braking situations, or when negotiating hard rolling turns like at intersections.

The FI tech does have an idle stop that does need to be set; this is a point that the install instructions did not mention at the time. Yes it will self learn. Inputting the basic settings works about like the install instructions spec. Tweaking them is more complicated and demands serious knowledge or a good tutorial on how the programmer works. You tube is your friend. Tip In was another area that I had to really work with to get it right. Again, not a basic install sheet item. And you will run into DFco settings and how to tweak them.

Wiring the FI tech unit is straight forward but does require invading the engine wiring harness. The connections have to be solid. Again, for myself, I went with the Deutsch connector system for creating, connecting, and integrating the various circuits. They are small and fit into tight areas while being weatherproof and abuse resistant. They are not easy to build but do the job. You could also go Metri-pak but again, it is a dedicated system that you have to assemble using the system components. Neither is a solder and electrical tape exercise and I DO NOT recommend making any of the needed connections using that method.

Other items to consider, accelerator linkage, installing and setting the T-V linkage from the transmission. Building the fuel lines; your stock ones won't handle the line pressure; they are meant for a carburetor and FI delivers at a far higher pressure/rate. Fuel filter and regulator to go with the pump. Misc fiddly things that I have forgotten but which you will likely have to deal with no matter whose system you choose.

Not going into the subject of distributor and spark handling here. That is a book and video tutorial all its own.

Would I get another FI Tech? Not right now, but never say never.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I have had the fitech for a couple of years and it has been great. It's just a cruiser but it does what I need it to do perfectly.

I used the gn tank, sender and aeromotive fuel pump. I haven't used any others so I can't compare but I am very happy with mine.

Reactions: 1 users

Rodney Pickering

Apprentice
Mar 13, 2017
Just fired up a 350 crate motor in my 80 Malibu rebuild using a Holley Sniper. Fired right up but had taken my time to make sure it was set up per the instructions. Called there tech support about 4 times and had great help 3 of 4 times.

Attachments

• 487CD8C9-FCAB-4FAA-B4DB-52078A3C137C.jpeg
    487CD8C9-FCAB-4FAA-B4DB-52078A3C137C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 129
Reactions: 2 users

Gpdreamer

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2018
I run the Holley sniper on a 400 Pontiac, had a few issues. One with idle which the Holley forum gave clear advice on how to set it manually then let the sniper learn. And the other was figuring out it did not work on a duel plane manifold with my engine. Runs great on single plane

Rodney Pickering

Apprentice
Mar 13, 2017
I run the Holley sniper on a 400 Pontiac, had a few issues. One with idle which the Holley forum gave clear advice on how to set it manually then let the sniper learn. And the other was figuring out it did not work on a duel plane manifold with my engine. Runs great on single plane

Rodney Pickering

Apprentice
Mar 13, 2017
i am using 1” spacer above the duel plane intake that came with my crate motor. Had read about and talked to Holley tech on this issue. Also ran 3/8” fuel return line back to tank instead of recommended 5/16. Taking it out for it maiden voyage today. Will post again after voyage.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
Why would the dual plane cause issues?? Unless its something to do with vacuum signal to map sensor.

Gpdreamer

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2018
The only time it worked great was when it was WOT. Sure the map had something to do with it and possibly the way the injection worked on which side and when. Holley forum talked a lot about single plane, so l tried it. I cut down the divider in the duel plane a inch and it still run bad when cruising. Like it was missing on a few cylinders.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
The only time it worked great was when it was WOT. Sure the map had something to do with it and possibly the way the injection worked on which side and when. Holley forum talked a lot about single plane, so l tried it. I cut down the divider in the duel plane a inch and it still run bad when cruising. Like it was missing on a few cylinders.
Ok, gee, makes you wonder if all these retro kits have the same issues, I have Edelbrock performer rpm air gap, I like this intake and hate to lose my lower rpm torque.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Coppernick's post is enough of a reason to use a Holley rather than an FiTech IMO.

Regarding intakes, this will work exactly the same as a carb with the exception that the fuel is atomized when it leaves the TB rather than relying on air flow to do the atomization work. An Air Gap intake has issues when you have cold ambient temps. The XTau factor is no worse for an injected TB than carb. If your car runs fine with your current intake, then it's not going to run worse with a fuel injected TB. A single plane is going to make more top end power than a dual plane, but the fuel injection will help with the low rpm XTau issues that a single plane creates with a carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor