Fix my 8.5 or Ford 9inch that I found

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Re: Ford 9inch, "Direct Bolt In", tell me what to ask!

:bump:

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx

I put glitter in there as a joke!....Lol honestly I have no idea best of luck!

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB

khan0165 said:
UPDATE:
(on my 8.5, sorry no update on 9 inch yet)

I opened up the 8.5 today, for a fluid change and a visual inspection, to see where I stand. Fluid came out smooth and clean, and visually nothing seemed out of place.

The only thing of concern was alot of sparkles in the fluid, which were very fine and only noticeable in direct light. The fluid didn't feel grainy, it was clean and without clumps, and I only noticed the sparkles when I a shined a light at the fluid.

is this something of concern? should I be alarmed? what could this mean?

I wouldn't be worried. Some fine dust in the oil is normal. Expecially if this is the first oil change after a rebuild.

When I put my 9" in, I took the Ford diff and an old stock diff (junkyard) to the shop and they just moved all the stock brackets to the new diff, and narrowed the ford to the same as the original. At the same time, they raised the upper 4-link eyes (drag race mod) and I boxed all the suspension arms and installed Polygraphit bushings.

I still have the '78 ford crewcab rear drum brakes (came on the ford 9") and they work great. I didn't even have to change the proportioning valve. I would like to put the bigger calipers on the front, though.

The rear U-joint was interesting. I bought a stock G-body U-joint and a u-joint for the truck the diff came from, and found out they use the same cross, just have to move 2 caps from one u-joint to the other, and you now have a rear u-joint and a spare.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

khan0165 said:
you are right, the 8.5 is great. But right now I am going thru a few issues with it... It is starting to slip and may need some work. A clutch pack or rebuild, etc... I want to go bigger gears also, which would involve a overhaul of the guts.

I want to rebuild it myself, as a learning experience... which would take time. The car will get parked soon, but I can't park it without a rearend. And I don't want to attempt working on it before then, as winter is fast approaching.

I am considering using the 9 in it's place while I play around with the 8.5

If it's a "direct bolt-in", it should be a simple ordeal... If I like it, I would keep it and sell the 8.5... or if I build the 8.5, I can resell the 9 inch

... I know it sounds dumb, but I need to maintain a driveline in the car while I play. And a 9 inch sounds like a great deal. And in either case, I could sell one and make my money back

it's only a couple - 3 hour job to thro in a new clutch pack and to switch out the gears. Too bad your not closer, I have the 7.5 rear end complete with oil and brakes that you could borrow and tho in while you do your 8.5. Your driveshaft is an inch shorter than a driveshaft for a 7.5 but it will still work, I'm used a GN drivshaft with a 7.5 for a few days.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

so yesterday, I took off the cover on the 8.5 to to do a general visual inspection and see what I'm working with...
... This differential has a old style Eaton unit, with S spring.
like this
2599371_132_full.jpg

can someone give me some info on this? Is this still a rebuildable system? Can someone help me figure out how to check which parts are worn, and what I should replace? Help with partnumbers would be great too.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

khan0165 said:
so yesterday, I took off the cover on the 8.5 to to do a general visual inspection and see what I'm working with...
like this
2599371_132_full.jpg

can someone give me some info on this? Is this still a rebuildable system? Can someone help me figure out how to check which parts are worn, and what I should replace? Help with partnumbers would be great too.

thanks!
check for wear on the ring and pinion gear, for right now, just check the backlash and make sure that was set right, the rear wasnt howling or making noise was it?

something like this, I did this while it was on the car though

[youtube]LObfebayp6Y&feature=related[/youtube]

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

khan0165 said:
like this
2599371_132_full.jpg

thanks!

that is the old style, I was able to remove and inspect the clutch pack on my 8.2 without have to remove the carrier or the crown. It is rebuildable, the large keyways cut in the carriers are where the clutch packs are, you can see the tabs in the picture, one pack on each side of the carrier. There is no small retainer holding the packs together like on mine. All you do is remove the carrier by taking the 4 5/8 bolts off the caps. Mark the caps so they go on the same way you took them off. When you removed the carrier, you'll probably need a pry bar to get it out, make sure you keep the backlash shims in place so you can put them back exactly how they came out. Then you remove the crown gear, the bolts have a left handed thread. Next you remove the pin so you can remove the pinion shaft. Next the S spring is removed, then the two pinion gears can be removed with their thrust washers, next the side gears come out and then the clutch packs can be removed.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Like Crazcnuk said a little glitter in the oil is normal, what that is normally is just the clutch material wearing down. You can see your clutch stack on the right side of the carrier behind the side spider in your pic. Rebuilding the carrier is pretty easy and costs around $100 for the clutch kit, a deeper set of gears will run about $150-$200 new depending on the ratio and brand. Also be sure to use the posi additive. I just rebuilt my 8.5" Eaton posi out of my SS then stuck it in my truck's rear diff and replaced it with a Detroit Locker in the SS. The posi works good as new in the truck and now the SS has better grip too.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
no gear howl or hum, no vibrations, nothing out of ordinary. The issue I am having is slip... at the track, on slicks, it will sometimes have trouble locking both wheels. And, on peel, I've noticed it sometimes does not leave even lengths of rubber marks on the road.
I'm don't know much, but it feels like bearings and other mechanical components are okay... But clutches are gone bad.

sorry I couldn't grab any pictures... but from visual inspection, gears seemed to have even wear, broad accross each tooth. Everything looked very clean, nothing out of the ordinary.
... I don't know what else to look for.

... I can open it up again to check more things. How do you check backlash? The video doesn't explain where to point the dial indicator...

is there anything else I can inspect while I'm there? ... without removing any components?

thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor