Floor Shifter Conversion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I've got the 3.8 V6 with stock 3 speed transmission. So whatever transmission number letter thingy that is. And the stock rear end.

I was wondering what was involved into changing to a floor shifter. Not nescessarily a factory floor shifter assembly (because buckets are expensive), but a stand-alone one. The kicker is, I've got a bench, and I want to install it in-front of the bench (like in old Nova's and such). I've included pics below. And how hard it is to install myself (or if I should take it to a shop). And I'll also be replacing the part on the column with the shifter with a non shifter one from a junk yard as well. Will the floor shifter be able to be mounted in front of the bench? A pic below shows yes, but I'm not sure if it was modified extensively or not... Will either of the two pictured work with my stock 3 speed, or is there any other ones? I'd prefer staying with Hurst...

P2280417.jpg

My interior (for reference)

dc_4.jpg

GP with stand-alone floor shifter in front of bench (exactly where I want it at)

80gaad02.jpg

Factory set-up (front Grand Am)

huu-5060001.jpg

Hurst Indy stand-alone shifter (more preforable than Pro-Matic)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

25713.jpg

Hurst Pro-Matic stand-alone (more bulky, but if it's easier I'll take it)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

untitled.jpg

The look I'm going for with the Hurst Indy set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor