Floor Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
If the plate already says PRND12 it should have the shifting with the th350 transmission?? On my impala which has the motor and transmission combo in it, the shift indicator says PRND12.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I guess that's another possibility, if the shifter was never intended for the 2004R then it's possible it may just bolt right up as it sits. Worst case scenario you may not have access to one of the lower gears.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
Is there supposed to be a bracket that attaches to the transmission that the shifter cable is installed into? If so, I am missing that bracket.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
joye227 said:
Is there supposed to be a bracket that attaches to the transmission that the shifter cable is installed into? If so, I am missing that bracket.

Yes, there are two brackets for the trans. one that holds the cable housing, and one that goes on trans gear shaft to hold the inner cable and column lock-rod. You're 3-speed shifter works with any 3-speed trans.

NO aftermarket shifters will fit without cutting. Something irreversible you may regret down the road, especially when the value of consoles goes up from the $200 that can be fetched on a nice one today to an astronomically expensive price in a decade. Aftermarket shifters are cool, but IMHO I don't think they are worth defacing a good console over(Monte console maybe? but a cutlass console, no way!). due to it's design, the Chevy consoles require virtually no cutting of the base console, trimming is required on the shifter top plate only(which is a readily available reproduction part.)

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
Okay. Well that tells me I have been going about this the wrong way. I need to be trying to get my hands on the bracket the bolts to the transmission and holds the cable. I am going to get a new cable from the local parts store. It will be for a 78 cutlass because I know that year didn't come with overdrive. Does anyone know where I can find the transmission bracket that bolts to the transmission pan? I think I have the bracket that holds the inner cable and column rod because I was changing gears by turning my column since my console shifter was unhooked.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Jeg's carries a t350 trans bracket, but it is intended for use with a B&M Cable. Fortunately they do make a cable that will work with your factory shifter, but it cost a little more than a stock replacement form Pep Boys.

Jeg's trans bracket 130-35498, is $21.99
The cables start at @$40.00, but in comparison they make a factory cable look like cheap garbage.
http://www.jegs.com

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
If I choose to go the B&M route, will I still be able to keep the column movin along wit the floor shifter?

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
As a matter of fact, what would be a donor car that I could get the transmission brackets out of? I would rather go that route and have the B&M option as a last resort.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes.
If you can already turn the collar on you column to induce shifting, than you already have that department taken care of.
Yea, insuring that column lock is working correctly is vital, because it is part of you cars first line of defense against theft, something that's often forgotten or overlooked when people go to an aftermarket shifter.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
The factory replacement cable has plastic ends that are retained by c-clips.
The housings are known to break(because it's thinner) were C-clip goes on the housing.

B&M cables have metal ends, with adjustable stop nuts.
Here is the Jeg's bracket, notice the cable goes through a hole in the bracket and has stop nuts holding it in place. The factory style bracket has a "forked" opening there were the cable fits through the forks and is held in place with a C-clip. The cable is also a heavier gauge, the housing is also made of better "anti-friction" compounds. The one I have personally used is the 3' length model.
x012.jpg
<br>
x014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor