Floor Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Another thing to consider is future availability.

If you plan on owning your car for like ever and ever, than you may want to closely consider making the upgrade.

The factory cable is a G-Body part only, one of which only came in select models at that. Probably only 10's of thousands of these applications are out there, where as there are probably about a million people that have a B&M or Husrt shifters. So as time goes by, they(factory replacement cables) will become increasingly harder to find vs. the B&M cable.
I think most people do not know they can upgrade just the cable(in combination with the trans bracket), and have it work properly with their factory shifter.

I would also like to add that factory replacement cables from local auto houses are made to fit all G-body's, so they are @1.5 inches longer than the Cutlass cable(because the extra length is needed for the Grand Prix). Yes, they fit and work, but they aren't the same as a "from the factory original". Some of you can probably testify to this.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
Since you already have used it then it is proven. And since I will be able to use the B&m cable and keep my steering column operating correctly then I will make the upgrade. I will get the bracket you posted above and the 3 foot cable. How does the cable install? I'm not asking how it connects to each bracket but how does it route to the transmission bracket. I looked at some install instructions and I saw that the 5 foot cable has to have a big loop that goes over and under the transmission. Does that same loop apply to the 3 ft cable? Or do the 3ft cable just go directly to the transmission bracket like the factory cable does? Sorry for such a long post, just trying to get the info. Thanx

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
x012.jpg

Where the shifter cable hooks to the linkage with the cotter pin. Do all transmission linkages have those two holes for a cable to be attached to them?

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
hey bud not to sound rude but if you go to a salvage yard you should be able to see everything you are asking about and it makes it alot easier to understand how its setup.
on the cable, the end with the rubber boot attaches to the trans with a bolt that goes through the eye of the cable and attaches to the the trans lever then on the shifter end it locks into place on the shifter and the eye slides over a little mount made on the mechanism and is held in place with a cotter pin

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
I don't think you were being rude either. What I'm asking now is do all the transmission shifter levers have the holes to mount a floor shifter cable? Like in the picture above??

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
".....What I'm asking now is do all the transmission shifter levers have the holes to mount a floor shifter cable?....."

The short answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor