Floor Shifter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I put a B&M Z-Gate shifter in my 83. I didnt hook my reverse lights up or my neutral switch. I have to get my car inspected so I can get tags on it. My question is how do I get them to work? Im not really sure what wires I need to hook up or really even what to do. I have read the instructions and it still dont make since to me. Any help would be appericated. :blam:

tonchis97

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2010
im planning to put a B&M shifter on my 84 so let me know if you fixed when you fixed it

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You don't need a single wire to make your reverse lights or neutral safety features operational again.
Both of these are operated mechanically through the base of the steering column.

You simply need to have the linkage from the trans to the column present and adjusted properly.

For some reason, lots of people remove it thinking they need clearance for headers or that they can't use it with an aftermarket shifter, which is simply not true.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I'm not sure you can use factory linkage to the column with a B&M floor shifter (someone correct me if I'm wrong...and posts some pics too).

I have installed a B&M Quicksilver and there are switches for neutral safety and reverse lights on the shifter. Basically, you need to find those 2 pair of wires going to the column (I *think* reverse is one green and one blue, and the starter one light purple wire and one red), cut them, perhaps add some wire (solder and heatshrink), and then hook then to the appropriate switch on the shifter.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I have a B&M Megashifter in my 442.
The stock linkage from the trans to the column is still intact and fully functional.
My reverse lights and neutral safety features work fine, and I didn't have to run a single wire.

The neutral safety feature on these cars is not a switch.
It is a column interlock that is controlled mechanically by the collar of the steering column.
This is the piece where your column shifter lever would attach.
On a factory floor shift car, it still moves with the floor shifter.
It physically won't allow you to turn the key unless it is in park or neutral.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I just installed a B&M pro stick shifter set up 4 speed 2004r transmission and kept all the linkage goin to the colum hook up so reverse light and neutral saftey switch all work

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,637

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Blake442 said:
I have a B&M Megashifter in my 442.
The stock linkage from the trans to the column is still intact and fully functional.
My reverse lights and neutral safety features work fine, and I didn't have to run a single wire.

RockSS said:
I just installed a B&M pro stick shifter set up 4 speed 2004r transmission and kept all the linkage goin to the colum hook up so reverse light and neutral saftey switch all work

Do you guys have a pic of this? I would really like to see how you did this. I would much rather hook mine up that way if I can. My car was originally a 3 speed w/column shift. Somehow, I need to remove the column shifter or swap the column from a car that had a floor shift. Also, what did you use for transmission gear selector bracket (the one the bolts to the 200-4r transmission)?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
My 442 is currently buried in the garage.
It'll be at least a month or so before the weather is nice enough for me to be motivated to clear everything out around it...

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I dont have a pic right now but... I used the B&M brackets and all linkage ... for the shift link on the transmission I removed all linkage then put the B&M selector in place then reinstalled the factory brackets. it wont go on all the way to the flats on transmission but it has plenty of threads to install and put the nut on just tighten it with a little extra... :)

Now idk about if theres a difference between the 3 speed and 4 speed colunm linkage when I pulled my dash apart to replace the bulbs the 4 speed indicator fell off and there was a 3 speed indicator behind it... :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor