floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
i would like to convert my 87 cutlass column shifter with a th350 transmission to a floor shifter. will the 350 transmission work with stock floor shifter without making any mod to the shifter. also will i need a different linkage . if so, if someone have a part number are link i would appreciate it. i do have the steering column for that shifter that i will be swapping also. hope the wiring will switch over with no problem.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going stock all you'll need is just the three speed shifter (TH350, TH250, TH200 all used the same), the trans mounted arm for the cable which will also work the current linkage to retain the column mounted B/U & NSS. There should be a dimple in the trans tunnel for where the hole for the cable grommet needs to be. You'll just remove that column shifter so the movement of the floor shifter will move the current linkage to to activate the B/U & NSS when needed plus to lock the shifter when you pull the key in park. Biggest challange will be getting the shifter & console.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
i do have the steering column for that shifter that i will be swapping also. hope the wiring will switch over with no problem.
I believe they changed the steering column wiring in 84'

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have a 79 Malibu that came with a bench seat and column shift. I put a semi-hot 350 sbc in it and installed a floor shift. I didn't remove the column shift rods at the time, so I still have that to do. However, the install was pretty much a straight up job with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor