flowmaster headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2009
SW Florida
Can anybody recommend a nice sounding muffler. I have flowmasters and love the sound from the outside but the interior noise will give you a headache -- the wife doesn't want to ride in it because of the droning

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
maybe a nice turbo muffler? my car is quiet unless you get on it, then it is loud as hell.

XbeasleyX

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Western New York
Pypes Race-Pro. I have the violators and its just a smidge too-much sometimes, 99% of the time I love them.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
TomT said:
Can anybody recommend a nice sounding muffler. I have flowmasters and love the sound from the outside but the interior noise will give you a headache -- the wife doesn't want to ride in it because of the droning

Walker DynoMax

TomT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2009
SW Florida
flowmasters

40's -- I love the flowmaster sound -- You can really turn some heads idling across a parking lot with a nice cam lope

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I like Flowmaster as well. I prefer the 80 series crossflow (usually I pirate used ones from 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds) and I put them in the stock location behind the rear axle and flipped up sideways.

They sound great and the interior drone goes away because the muffler is behind the back seat now. No matter what dual exhaust you run, the drone comes because the sound is hitting the floor boards behind your front seats. Even the factory turbo Buicks and 442 cars have this problem with the single exhaust that splits to twin mufflers.

If you mount the 80 series in the factory rear location (like my diesel car or a factory Buick V6 3.8 car) it changes the whole dynamic.

Good luck, whatever you decide. Just make sure to post the results here after your swap so that we all learn a lesson from what you do!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
If you want to sound fast Flowmaster.

If you want to be fast dynomax.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I haven't seen flowmaster slow anyone down yet (including me) so I'd say that's a matter of personal opinion.

My argument was more for the crossflow type muffler than any particular brand. You could feasibly use any muffler for an 82-02 Camaro or Firebird and get the same results.

I was suggesting a way to tone down the noise without losing performance.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
KrisW said:
I haven't seen flowmaster slow anyone down yet (including me) so I'd say that's a matter of personal opinion.

No, it's a matter of proof through testing. Google muffler flow rates and you will see that not only do the poorly-named "Flow"masters consistently end up at the bottom of the heap, but quarter mile testing confirms that they hurt performance. But at least they're annoying. Just auditory bling, in my opinion, and about as appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor