FNG from TEXAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
Howdy y'all,
Recently dicided to build an SS and so here I am learning what I can to plan the build. My current play toy is a 1989 Pontiac Firebired GTA Trans Am. But I gave it to my son, so I need a new toy. :?
Here's it's specs, same as the signature.
1989 Pontiac Firebird NIGHTHAWK!
389 CID Vortec TPI Engine, 428 HP, 507 TQ.
TCI Streetfighter Transmission
Vigilante 2800 rpm stall converter
Spohn racing suspension
1/4 mile [email protected] mph.
Top Speed over 180 mph based on tach.
4th Generation Trans Am hood and rear wing. 1992 GTA ground effects and rear valence.
I put up a photo album of the NIGHTHAWK if y'all are interested in it. Have raced it against a 2010 Camaro SS and a Shelby GT500 and killed them both! I designed the engine using Dyno Sim racing software, the actual engine was almost exactly HP and TQ as predicted. Getting ready to upgrade the transmission and torque converter and while out put on E-Tec 200 heads with ceramic coating, thin head gasket to bump up CR to 10.55:1 and a Stealth Ram intake, may switch out Crane gold 1.5:1 rockers to 1.6:1, haven't decided. That is supposed to bump us to 478 HP with 498 TQ. 8)

The SS will have a 500-600 hp Texas Speed motor in it, probably a 427 cid LS motor. TCI Super Streetfighter transmission, Vigilante torque converter, Moser 12 bolt, Baer brakes, lowering kit (nose down by about 1 inch). Haven't decided on rims yet. Have to look at subframe connecters. Spohn suspension and urethane bushings.

Any suggestions appreciated, especially for external mods, I want my car to look like no other SS, like the Nighthawk is unique.

I look forward to meeting you all. I used to drag race cars and motorcycles and did my own work, but getting up in years now, so? Who has the baddest street car on here? I want to know if I need more HP before I buy my engine. :D

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
No need for sub frame connectors. Gbodies have a full frame.

Lets see some pics. :D

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Welcome. Don't know who has the baddest street car on here. It has a drag raceing side but not as hard core as say www.maliburaceing.com or www.turbobuick.com etc. Very diverse group here mostly street help and basic upgrades some into big wheels etc. Also always depends on your definition of street car. Their has been several guys on here with 10 second cars but they don't post a lot and probably spend more time on more serious gear head sites. Good place to help relative noobs to hot rodding these cars. Both the cars in my sig were tagged insured pump gas full exhaust street tire cars that I would cruise out of state with or hit the local test & tune etc. Good tuner racer could get about 115mph in the quarter out of them. I ran my get acquainted passes on both in as I drive trim at 12.4 109 on the GN & 12.5 110 on the 442.

50HP on a rocker ratio change? That seems like a lot. Why would you lose torque on a rocker change? The CNC ported stroker LS engines are the sh*t. You will like more torque in a heavier less aero car than your Firebird. At least on the street. My next mod was to be frame notches to run 295/65/15 drag radials.

PS Checked out your pics sharp car. I like the specs info to unfortunately most here don't do that. Needs an engine shot & an interior shot.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
dogshit said:
50HP on a rocker ratio change? That seems like a lot. Why would you lose torque on a rocker change? The CNC ported stroker LS engines are the sh*t. You will like more torque in a heavier less aero car than your Firebird. At least on the street. My next mod was to be frame notches to run 295/65/15 drag radials.

PS Checked out your pics sharp car. I like the specs info to unfortunately most here don't do that. Needs an engine shot & an interior shot.

Well, if you reread what I wrote, it's new heads E-Tec 200's with ceramic coating, Stealth Ram intake, thin head gaskets (steel shim) and maybe rocker arms. So, yes it will get me at least 50 maybe more my Dyno Sim does not include a stealth ram intake so I had to improvise.

Nothing special on the inside. Grant steering wheel, B&M megashifter and that's it.
I never pop the hood to show others, ever, they just have to wonder when I tell them it's a stock 305. Of course when they hear it they KNOW I'm a liar. But it's going to cost them to find out how big of a liar I am. Haven't lost yet, but there is ALWAYS someone that is faster.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
Phoenyx said:
No need for sub frame connectors. Gbodies have a full frame.

Lets see some pics. :D

Pics are in the photo album.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
OK I mis read what you wrote. I thought you had that stuff but were hopeing to get another 50 HP from the rocker change. So you are afraid to show an engine pic here because someone might see it and that might scare them off and you would lose revenue from a race you did not get to have. Then again if that were your reasoning would you not also conceal your et & mph information? Unless maybe that is false info to throw them off as you really have say a mid ten car. I have been to our local illegal street races and I could see this. You got a $50 dollar race lined up they assume its a 305 then you pop the hood and its a turbo buick motor poof race gone no $50. Naturally you are probably working on bigger races where it could be a couple grand on a race. On another note I wish we had a "Kill stories" section on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor