For those with Holley swap kit, how close is the rear coil to the AC box?

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I would prefer someone who swapped a cutlass, but would like to hear experiences with other models as well. I've heard of the rear coilpack needing to be relocated. Why is this? Is the wire connection too close to the AC box? Is the coil bracket too close to the AC box? I may be moving the engine slightly forward for another issue but wondering if moving it forward would also help with coil clearance there.

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
I would prefer someone who swapped a cutlass, but would like to hear experiences with other models as well. I've heard of the rear coilpack needing to be relocated. Why is this? Is the wire connection too close to the AC box? Is the coil bracket too close to the AC box? I may be moving the engine slightly forward for another issue but wondering if moving it forward would also help with coil clearance there.
I am interested in this also.

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
I downloaded a pic of a 6.0 LS engine in a 85 Cutlass and see that the coilpaks are not relocated.
6.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I am interested in this also.
I actually just ended up going with the dirty dingo mounts and gforce gen 2 crossmember & adjustable trans mount. Everything else is Holley (accessory drive, manifolds, exhaust, etc.) and is very close alignment wise. I like the adjustability to move the engine forward a little. Plus the gforce gen 2 crossmember is a way better design than the Hooker crossmember.

Adam 442

n00b
Aug 18, 2023
I used the holley swap system and had had to relocate that one coil. It was hitting the ac box. I ended up moving it closer to the next coil by cutting the bracket.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I used the holley swap system and had had to relocate that one coil. It was hitting the ac box. I ended up moving it closer to the next coil by cutting the bracket.
I had to modify the coil pack bracket to clear the air box on my heat-only 1984 Monte Carlo; my NGK spark plug wires are rather long compared to the OEM and could accommodate the longer distance to the plug. If I were doing it again, I would have welded two factory steel coil racks together in a similar manner. There are lots of pretty coil brackets to choose from (ICT billet, ebay, etc.), but they can be expensive.

The holley swap kit doesn't leave much room between the passenger head and the firewall, but this placement allows the truck accessory bracket power steering pump pully to clear the steering box. Holley claims their mounts put the bell housing in the same location as the factory original motors (SBO/SBC/v6), but you still need to get the driveshaft shortened if you are using a computer transmission like 4L60e/4L80e.

I was not happy with the Holley transmission crossmember, and the blackheart exhaust kit has been difficult. Some pieces were manufactured wrong (flared on wrong end) and it took weeks for Holley to make it right. I'm happy with it now after having it apart half a dozen times.

1714368423378.png

Last edited:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I downloaded a pic of a 6.0 LS engine in a 85 Cutlass and see that the coilpaks are not relocated.
View attachment 233728
That looks fan-frickin-tastic. Working AC and all! I used same transmission dipstick. What is the electrical box near the brake lines?

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
My car has the Holley mounts and 6.0 LQ9 block. I wanted to relocate the coils just because I liked the look better. I ordered low profile valve covers, black with polished ribs, but the ribs make them thicker than the stock covers. Had to do a small notch in the heater box, but it was easily sealed from inside. The oem valve covers are usually very low profile, so you might get by with no contact, and the coil may sit far enough forward to be out of the way.
20230111_214722.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor