Ford 5.0 in the 84 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
www.youtube.com
Since this is the 1st tune up the car has had since i have had it i was wondering what type of spark plug wires & plugs should i pick up..also is there anything major i need to check...Right now the car has a stock Olds 307 with no upgrades yet..i plan on driving the car to Los Angeles From Moreno Valley Ca need to kno what needs to be chcked so i dont get stuck looking like a fool 8)

Just bought an 86 myself. Within the first week had to replace fuel pump and alternator belt and the fuel gauge doesn't work. :? I most def check your belts at a minimum before a long road trip... Also small road side repair kit with a set of spare belts, spark plug wires, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea. 🙂

SSuttonMN said:
Just bought an 86 myself. Within the first week had to replace fuel pump and alternator belt and the fuel gauge doesn't work. :? I most def check your belts at a minimum before a long road trip... Also small road side repair kit with a set of spare belts, spark plug wires, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea. 🙂

lol i find it crazy that my alternator belt snapped on me...and my temp gauge didnt work...so i upgraded temp..oil pressure , and volt gauge..i also changed all my belt...im just wondering what spark plugs and wires are good for my car because i heard some spark plugs can make cars run like sh*t and others make them run real good

I wouldn't put any brand plugs in mine but AC Delco. They should run you $2.29 per plug. I think the part number is R46SZ. You can get a different brand on the wires but just make sure they are decent. Don't get the cheapest out there. Then just check all your fluids. Possibly change your fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve. Just the normal tune up stuff.

442Jayp said:
SSuttonMN said:

lol i find it crazy that my alternator belt snapped on me...and my temp gauge didnt work...so i upgraded temp..oil pressure , and volt gauge..i also changed all my belt...im just wondering what spark plugs and wires are good for my car because i heard some spark plugs can make cars run like sh*t and others make them run real good
what u got a 5.0 ford on ur cutlass?? i would change plugs, wires, distrubutor cap and rotor, thats what i did on mine check all fluids and check belts and change air filter and fuel filter which is only like 3 bucks make sure ur tires are good. and i got a question where did u buy your oil pressure gauge and i went to 3 auto parts store and they only got the mechanical gauges and we need the electrical gauges

86_olds said:
442Jayp said:
SSuttonMN said:

what u got a 5.0 ford on ur cutlass?? i would change plugs, wires, distrubutor cap and rotor, thats what i did on mine check all fluids and check belts and change air filter and fuel filter which is only like 3 bucks make sure ur tires are good. and i got a question where did u buy your oil pressure gauge and i went to 3 auto parts store and they only got the mechanical gauges and we need the electrical gauges

no i dont have a 5.0 ford motor that was just go get attention lol..i got my oil pressure gauge with my volt and water temp as a set from Kragen Auto Parts..Now known as Orileys Auto Parts for about 40 bucks

X2 on the AC Delco's. I have AC Rapid Fire plugs in mine and they have performed perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor