Cutlass Ford 9” swap questions

Mlong155

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2023
I am currently in the process of a complete back-half winter project on my 82 Cutlass. I originally wasn’t going to fool with the stock 7.5 but ultimately decided to go ahead and do the 9” swap. I had previously ordered everything to restore and replace the stock brakes. However, with me switching over to the 9”, they are useless. Sorta. I have decided to do Quick Performance’s 9” housing and axle package. With this I can choose the drill pattern and housing end. The options for housing ends are listed below. With any of these options, can the part numbers for the stock drums, pads, springs, etc. that I already have, still be used to save me some money? Obviously the dust cover itself will be different but I just want to see that these will fit my drums and whatnot. Thanks fellas!

Billet GM 10/12 w/ seal surface (for use with Chevy 8.2"/8.5" 10 bolt or Chevy 12 bolt car drum brakes only)
Billet GM Flush w/ seal surface (for use with 93-02 GM F body rear disc brakes only)
Billet Large GM w/seal surface (for use with some GM Impala or Truck drum brakes only)

Last edited:

Chenz62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2024
Long Island NY
I am currently in the process of a complete back-half winter project on my 82 Cutlass. I originally wasn’t going to fool with the stock 7.5 but ultimately decided to go ahead and do the 9” swap. I had previously ordered everything to restore and replace the stock brakes. However, with me switching over to the 9”, they are useless. Sorta. I have decided to do Quick Performance’s 9” housing and axle package. With this I can choose the drill pattern and housing end. The options for housing ends are listed below. With any of these options, can the part numbers for the stock drums, pads, springs, etc. that I already have, still be used to save me some money? Obviously the dust cover itself will be different but I just want to see that these will fit my drums and whatnot. Thanks fellas!

Billet GM 10/12 w/ seal surface (for use with Chevy 8.2"/8.5" 10 bolt or Chevy 12 bolt car drum brakes only)
Billet GM Flush w/ seal surface (for use with 93-02 GM F body rear disc brakes only)
Billet Large GM w/seal surface (for use with some GM Impala or Truck drum brakes only)
What gears in the 9”? 3.73?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I went with the Big Ford ends on both my 9" rears just for the amount of available options for aftermarket disc brakes, I have Wilwood discs on my Monte but on my Regal since it was more of a budget build I went with new Ford 11" drums which are a huge improvement over the wimpy stock 9" drums that came on the 7.5.
A back half car with huge tires and I am guessing the plan is to go fast then I would definitely being looking for an upgrade in brakes over those stock drums.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY

what ford ends did you go with big bearing 1/2 bolts or the smaller3/8 big bearing ?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
what ford ends did you go with big bearing 1/2 bolts or the smaller3/8 big bearing ?

On my Monte I have a Moser 9" with the Big Ford 1/2" bolts ends, which I think has the most options for brakes and offsets, on my Regal I have a QP 9" with the new style Big Ford 3/8" bolts with less brake options but was a direct bolt on for the 11" Ford drum kit I bought from QP.

Here is the QP for my Regal
20220704_195322.jpg

20230527_154444.jpg

20230529_134714.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
On my Monte I have a Moser 9" with the Big Ford 1/2" bolts ends, which I think has the most options for brakes and offsets, on my Regal I have a QP 9" with the new style Big Ford 3/8" bolts with less brake options but was a direct bolt on for the 11" Ford drum kit I bought from QP.

Here is the QP for my Regal
the big bearing with 1/2 bolts was the good version back in the day to go with i had that as well but the one with the 3/8 bolts big bearing is what has the most options today. either way its ford 9 you cant go wrong. i been rolling with a ford 9 since high school best thing i ever did! i still have mine but swapped out the end and replaced it with the big bearing 3/8 style bolts

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
the big bearing with 1/2 bolts was the good version back in the day to go with i had that as well but the one with the 3/8 bolts big bearing is what has the most options today. either way its ford 9 you cant go wrong. i been rolling with a ford 9 since high school best thing i ever did! i still have mine but swapped out the end and replaced it with the big bearing 3/8 style bolts
Yeah, my Moser I bought back in early 2000, there were definitely limited options back then especially for Gbody's.
Wilwood still has more options for the old style but still plenty out there for both.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Yeah, my Moser I bought back in early 2000, there were definitely limited options back then especially for Gbody's.
Wilwood still has more options for the old style but still plenty out there for both.
the awesome part of the 3/8 bolt big bearing is you can do a rear disc brake swap for $100 (brackets with emergency brake) crazy cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor