Found Headers for Pontiac 301. Will they fit my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
Alrighty, I finally found headers for my Pontiac 301 I have in my Grand Prix.

Originally it came from a 1980 Trans Am, we got the engine cheap and put it in my 1983 Grand Prix.

My question is, do you think these headers could possibly fit into my Grand Prix?

I know these headers are expensive, but I'm willing to pay to just get rid of my cracked manifold and get a little bit more performance out of small v8.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 294839039+

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Do a search on here for a thread on the Pontiac 301 & headers. If memory serves me the 301 is held hostage by its heads & intake odditys. Something like you can't bolt on other heads and have a manifold fit or something. I know its cheaper easier and will make a lot more power for your money swaping to a 326 or larger, and its not because of the size of the motor. The 301 like the Olds 307 is not cost effective to upgrade except for things that can carry over. Much better to get another motor. Hate to be bearer of bad news and I like to see people do something with something other than another sbc but the 301 is not it.

PS Notice the headers only list the 301 and not other Pontiac enines. It will help some but it really won't remove the cork like it often does on other engines.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Vern said:
Do a search on here for a thread on the Pontiac 301 & headers. If memory serves me the 301 is held hostage by its heads & intake odditys. Something like you can't bolt on other heads and have a manifold fit or something. I know its cheaper easier and will make a lot more power for your money swaping to a 326 or larger, and its not because of the size of the motor. The 301 like the Olds 307 is not cost effective to upgrade except for things that can carry over. Much better to get another motor. Hate to be bearer of bad news and I like to see people do something with something other than another sbc but the 301 is not it.

PS Notice the headers only list the 301 and not other Pontiac enines. It will help some but it really won't remove the cork like it often does on other engines.
I think another poster that goes by Shotgun may have more better info for you

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
They will have to have 2 tubes "moved" I believe.

Custom headers are not worth it at all on an engine that can maybe make 300 hp on a good day.

How much power you trying to make?

The reason I ask is 3 tube headers bolt up and are easier to make fit.

Stock logs off a standard Pontiac are even an upgrade.

Ram Air manifolds are a great choice for the street and flow close to mild headers.

I have played with the 301 , not alot of room to grow there.

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
shotgun said:
They will have to have 2 tubes "moved" I believe.

Custom headers are not worth it at all on an engine that can maybe make 300 hp on a good day.

How much power you trying to make?

The reason I ask is 3 tube headers bolt up and are easier to make fit.

Stock logs off a standard Pontiac are even an upgrade.

Ram Air manifolds are a great choice for the street and flow close to mild headers.

I have played with the 301 , not alot of room to grow there.

It is possible to get 3 tube headers to bolt up to the 301 and fit in my Grand Prix?

I'm not very car savvy, so I have all my work done by a mechanic.

I'm looking for a simple solution to replace my cracked manifold. Finding a manifold seems to be a challenge, but so are headers. I just need a lot of assistance finding what to do with my exhaust, haha.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I have a good stock of manifolds and should be able to help you out.

Get me the casting number off what you need. Also which side.

If I don't have the "right" one I can come up with a standard pair ofr you.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Forgot, suggest you spray the bolts everyday with PB blaster to ease getting them out.

GM saw fit to use hollow bolts to hold on the manifolds and they tend to snap!

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
shotgun said:
I have a good stock of manifolds and should be able to help you out.

Get me the casting number off what you need. Also which side.

If I don't have the "right" one I can come up with a standard pair ofr you.

Oh sweet, okay. Where do I look exactly for that number?

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
damn they are expencif headers ! your probley better off making your own for half the price
and it depends on how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make i am sure them headers and a good port job to the heads would wake that motor up but you are looking at the better part of 500$ for the headers and anywhere between 500-1000$ for a good port job for a motor that will only make 300H.P on a good day
but it is nice to see sombody doing somthing different for a change i would deffenetly build a 301 if i had a grand prix just to be different !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor