Found Headers for Pontiac 301. Will they fit my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
I once had a 78 Grand prix w/ a 301 in it. I did what ever I could think of ... duals off the manifold w/Thrush Sonic Turbo mufflers ( you old school guys remember those) ??..lol ,flex fan,MSD, and an open element air cleaner.

I eventually blew the motor and dropped in a Pontiac 400. It consumed as much gas and had TWICE the power. Incredible torque !!1 and that was w/ the same trans and rear axle. bottom line .. the old rule... " NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" period...

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
sui, the casting number should be right on top between the first 2 cylinders.

Mosy likely 7 digits about a 1/4 inch tall.

If it is the d/s , you never said which side you need, it may be under the preheat shroud.

I might even have a set removed from my 79 301 GP.

88ss408, custom headers on a 301 is like pissing up a rope!

With thier 1.7 intake a 1.5 exhaust valves and thier 4 runner intake it's not worth it.

Here is a shot of a standard Pontiac intake gasket on a 301 manifold, scary isn't it! The EGR port is bigger than that and this feeds 2 cylinders!!!!
138689607208_0_BG1.jpg

I think the 301 has it's place, but all out performance it will never be.

GAMERA355, it right. they do respond to mild/common hot rod tricks.

I did much the same to one of mine, 4 barrel/carb for a TA, recurved on the distributor,"highoutput" HEI, custom exhaust with dynomax super turbo,upgraded the gears from 2.14 to a 2.29 posi.

It made for a nice driver put don't pick any fights!

If, someday you want to upgrade, I have a nice formula for a Pontiac 350 that will run 13z and get good mpg.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Sounds like Shotgun has your fix with a cheap manifold. Had a buddy who did a mild rebuild & rv type cam 301 in a 79 firebird. Best upgrade he made was to swap the rear to a 3.23 but that was even a bit much for the 301 and he had tall 275/60s. He would manually shift at about 4,500 and that helped some. He eventually found a 400 out of I think an early 70s Catalina at a yard for reasonable money. Wanted to buy a stroker rotateing assembly from Butler Performance to make it a 474ci but never has.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
damn that is a small port !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor