FOUND my 400sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
would he be better off just chalking it up to bad luck and selling it on to someone else?
Unless he was going to rip them off I doubt he'd fetch more than $50 or so for it in current condition.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Unless he was going to rip them off I doubt he'd fetch more than $50 or so for it in current condition.
probably more than he would get at the recycle yard where cast iron is about 6cents/lb

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
If you are looking for a shop Nyes in Muncie has a really good reputation. Good luck whatever you decide

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Before you toss it, take it all the way down to block, crank and rods/pistons. The rust in the lifter valley is a bother - the machine shop can tell you whether their vatting it will deal with the rust or only degrease it. As Vanrah pointed out, find out if the block is sound and unbored. 400s were meant to move the heavy Seventies. I got 80000 miles out of a .030 over before splitting a cylinder - but I spent the coin for balancing the rotating assembly with the new forged pistons. Aim for a 5.7 rod. You don't have to spend a ton on this engine - it will satisfactorily grunt your G off the line with a truck cam. Work with a competent machine shop to size the cam for efficiency at 2000-2300 RPM, and pair it with an overdrive trans and 3.08 gears, and you'll have a dependable ride without assassinating you at the gas pump. Dont forget the steam holes. We mean it. I used Dart S/R Torquer heads 30 years ago. Vortecs are inexpensive performance but small chambers. Again, a competent machine shop can help you design a compatible package. Aim for 9.0-9.5:1 You dont want to have to run 91 octane at $5 a gallon.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: 7 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Anybody know the kind of screws I need for the bell housing? I tried some from my 350sbc which were 3/8-16 but didn’t work. Tried two different metrics. Didn’t work

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
took off the intake manifold, seems to have surface rust. One of the cylinders also has surface rust
This is what i had figured... once i saw the photos you sent to me it wasn't very promising. You get what you pay for i guess!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
All chevy blocks were 3/8” so they could be stripped. I’ll take the block before you scrap it!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Anybody know the kind of screws I need for the bell housing? I tried some from my 350sbc which were 3/8-16 but didn’t work. Tried two different metrics. Didn’t work

All chevy blocks were 3/8” so they could be stripped. I’ll take the block before you scrap it!!!!
Yep..... 3/8-16 thread size/pitch. Given the images of the motor, I'm betting some tapping of the holes where necessary will be on your growing list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor