Fourth gen. Monte Carlo - what new owner should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drabina

n00b
Jul 11, 2012
I would like to get a fourth generation Chevy Monte Carlo. Leaning towards the 86-88 year as I would like to have the OD transmission. I would appreciate if you guys could tell me if there is anything that buyer should be aware of or check before purchase. You know, stuff that every G-body owner knows. I currently have a full size 1970 Chevy so I am not that familiar with the mid to late 80s cars.

Thanks.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
drabina said:
I would like to get a fourth generation Chevy Monte Carlo. Leaning towards the 86-88 year as I would like to have the OD transmission. I would appreciate if you guys could tell me if there is anything that buyer should be aware of or check before purchase. You know, stuff that every G-body owner knows. I currently have a full size 1970 Chevy so I am not that familiar with the mid to late 80s cars.

Thanks.

First thing you should check would be the frame rails, and the floor pan. Those things were known to rust through on the g body's !

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
Glad to hear you're looking to gte a Gbody. I'm not sure if there are any Monte Specs that are better than the others but as far as what to look for there are main body parts

-Check 1/4 panels
-Rear wheel weels
-check when you open the trunk on the far left and right side there is a storage slot where the 1/4 panel connects to the bottom of the trunk floow and it is common for it to rust badly.
-The trunk is the one place that goes bad. It rusts out around the seems of the pan the most
-Keep an eye out on the frame, especially the rear end of the frame by the bumber shocks. They useually rust out to the point bolts be come hard to remove
- The floor is common to rust out is the bottom of the back seat, behind the drivers seat and up by the fire wall.

Most of our cars came with th200 or 200r4 with the v8 modles to my knowledge but corrections are welcomed so i know for the future.

Daves85

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2009
New England
^^^^ Nailed it! ^^^

mine has rusted through the bottom of the rear quarters that caused the trunk to have a hole in the bottom corners.

i looked at a 87 monte recently.. it had NO drivers floor pans. only carpet separating you from the road. its a common issue, more common on t-top or sunroof cars.
another issue with that same monte i looked at was. the master cylinder was low on fluid.... check all fluids!!

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
Daves85 said:
^^^^ Nailed it! ^^^quote]

Thanks dave.

Also be careful if the car has had a motor swap. My second 84 did and the motor ran and everythign but he took the whole drive train including rear end out of a truck and just stuffed it under the car so i didn't fit properly and the drive shadt was diagnale and he bare had the motor mounted in.

If you go to buy one make sure you look at everything and even lift up the back seat. I'd rather spend 30 min to an hour look and nosey and know what I'm getting than look like a naive buyer who gets bent over.

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
If the window sweeps are in a million pieces check the bottoms of the doors.Gbodys are notorious for the bottoms of the doors rusting out and if its a t-top car make sure you pop them off and inspect the metal.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
Make sure to check the inner an outer rocker panels too. Have seen them rot really bad in those areas. Check the hinge plate area in both door jambs if the car is either a Tbar or moonroof car, as this area is prone to rust if it has T bars or a moonroof. Also check the A pillars over good too. You will want to check all body mounts and frame pockets for decay and rust. Check the inner and outer wheel tubs for rust too, have seen them seperate from the trunk floor.

Chris

drabina

n00b
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I am most likely going to get a hardtop just to avoid the leaks usually associated with t-tops. Though I have to say that I have always wanted a t-top car. I guess I am kinda scared as I can't do any body work on the car.

Now, I may be alone here but I kinda like the LS model better than SS. The LS usually comes with landau roof. I know that they are glued and riveted so there is possibility that the moisture spared rocker panels but got the roof. Am I asking for trouble if I get a car with a landau roof? Are they prone to leak and do they usually have corroded sheet metal underneath?

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
You're not alone, I tend to like the more basic versions of the cars too. Everyone and their brother has the sports version, or is trying to make their basic version look like the sports version. As for the Landau roof, I don't share your appreciation for this, but I can't imagine it would be that much of a problem, especially if it's a clean car and you don't plan on ripping the vinyl off.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
A lot of the 1/4 roofs do hold mositure and rot out pretty bad. I believe QDUB may have a picture of the underneath of his roof in his build thread. I reccamend removing it when you get it and have any rust removed then put it back on. It's what i'm doing with my Regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor