Frame painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
Getting ready to sandblast the frame and paint. Need suggestions on what type of frame paint and how much?

VHT roll bar & chassis paint, self etching - self priming no primer needed, my experience is degrease (I used simple green) scrub, power wash, degrease scrub, power - wash inspect & repeat if necessary then paint & most important make sure it is warm enough (Both paint & metal) read can for those details, good luck

Eastwood epoxy primer and ceramic chassis black. If the whole frame will be blasted.

Not sure what kind of look your going for, but iv heard of guys using truck bed liner paint.

how about powder coating a frame? good idea? bad idea? pro's? cons? only reason i ask is cause i have a huge walkin oven at my disposal...

Powder coat sucks, it's just rubber over the metal it provides no corrosion protection. It will hold up ok in a fair weather car but fails very quick if ever exposed to salt or alot of moisture. Pot 15 is ok but not resistance to chemicals and faids bad over time. My frame is painted with summit gloss black and Summit two part epoxy, the body will be done in U-Pol chip Gaurd over Summit epoxy top coated with Summit hot rod (semi gloss) black. You need a paint with a catalyst in it to make it resistant to brake fluid, fuel etc. you don't want to do all that work and bleed the brakes and bubble the paint or have a small fuel leak do the same

Fox80 said:
Powder coat sucks, it's just rubber over the metal it provides no corrosion protection. It will hold up ok in a fair weather car but fails very quick if ever exposed to salt or alot of moisture. Pot 15 is ok but not resistance to chemicals and faids bad over time. My frame is painted with summit gloss black and Summit two part epoxy, the body will be done in U-Pol chip Gaurd over Summit epoxy top coated with Summit hot rod (semi gloss) black. You need a paint with a catalyst in it to make it resistant to brake fluid, fuel etc. you don't want to do all that work and bleed the brakes and bubble the paint or have a small fuel leak do the same

thanks for the info... i bought a little powder coating setup from harbor freight cause i have the ovens to cure any parts in... my car wont see the connecticut winters, and i dont want to waste the new setup, so i will powdercoat small random crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor