Frame rail repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I finally made up on mind on whether to repair my spare (parts car) frame and use it as a replacement, or simply repair the original frame. I decided to go with the latter as I just won't have the time or money for a frame off resto any time soon.

Today I made the drive down to Woodstock to have Conrad replace my rear frame rails. See below for several pics I took during the install - which was long overdue as you will see. Remember, this is a car that hasn't been winter driven (and rarely rain driven) in the past 10+ years minimum that I know for sure (southern guys - close your eyes!):

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291978/7

I am very satisfied with the not only the product but the installation was top notch - you can tell Conrad takes great pride in his work :) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone else who may be in the same boat with rotted rails and not having frame replacment as a viable option :yup:

Also, Conrad now has a webpage put together - here's the link he gave me before I left today:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I was at the swap meet in Ancaster Ontario last weekend (April 30), and Conrad had a booth there showing the repair parts that he sells. I know that he has been doing this for a number of years, as I have seen him at the Barrie flea market for at least the past 10 years.
Did Conrad perform the the actual repair work on your Monte himself, or does he have a local shop do it? I'm assuming that the gas tank and other related items must be removed prior to the repair work being done. I'm lookiat the photos that you posted. It looks to me that the entire left side of the trunk floor in the area above the left frame rail has been replaced. Am I correct, and does Conrad have those repair parts available, or does he fabricate them as needed? I looked at the link to his site that you posted, and I know that he carries replacement body mounts and reinforcement panels, but I'm not sure how far those panels extend into the trunk floor.
A few years ago, one of the people that I work with had an '81 Monte Carlo with rotted rails at the back, and he bought the parts from Conrad, and had the body shop at the dealership where I work replace the rails. He took the gas tank out, then the body shop removed the rear body mounts, loosened the mounts further forward, then gently lifted the body up away from the rails at the rear in order to get enough access to replace the rear frame rail sections. Is this how Conrad did the work on your Monte?
Sorry for the long post, but I have an '86 GP 2+2, and the left side of the trunk floor is rotted away, and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. As near as I can tell, the frame itself is OK, but the trunk floor is gone, and the 2 rear body mounts on the left side will need to be replaced. If Conrad's work is as good as you're saying, and his prices as reasonable, it would be a really good option for me. Any further info you can provide would be appreciated, thanks.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yes, Conrad has been making these rails since '88 he told me. Conrad did the work, although he doesn't do it often anymore - you would have to contact him and ask him if he could do it if you were interested.

Gas tank and rear wheels are removed Yes, DS trunk panel has been replaced - although he doesn't normally stock or install that part anymore. It extends to the left side of the stamped square in the floor pan. From what I saw, I would guess he has close to a couple hundred of the rest of the complete kits boxed up and ready to go. All the smaller panels are where the body mounts bolt to on the body - they include the caged but and he welds this in place as the factory locations are usually rotted. Conrad didn't lift the body at all - he just removed the mounts and sawzalled the rails off (one at a time).

I can give you this info on his pricing:
The prices for the pieces are $230 for just the rails, and another $60 for the pockets which he said usually should/need to be replaced in most cases. The cost for him to supply & install everything normally (rails and pockets) is $750 CDN total. If the large DS patch panel is required like mine its $950 CDN.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The car isn't roadworthy right now, and I think that I would have to find a way to provide good access to the trunk area of the car. Which means that the rear glass, then the rear glass enclosure and trunk lid assembly would have to be removed in order to be able to have enough room to work in the trunk area of the car. This car and the Monte aerocoupes are probably the only G body cars that would present this problem. Once again, thanks for your help 85 SS.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you don't need that large DS panel replaced, then I don't think he would need trunk access. So if the body isn't bad under there then it would be completely under car work with the rails and pockets.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm probably going to try to get several things done during the same time period. There is a waterleak into the car where the rear glass meets the roof, so the rear window is going to have to be removed to get that fixed up. I'm hoping to be able to get the trunk & rear body mount repair done, then get some other bodywork done before reinstalling the rear glass. At any rate, this is going to be sometime in the future, so it will be one of those things that I'll figure out at that time. Its good to know that there is a good option out there for trunk & frame repairs though.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Nice job there Kevin, much quicker than a frame off right?

How many hours did it take?

Randy

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Ya, much quicker and much cheaper! ...and much sooner to finally having a paint job (hopefully!).

It took Conrad a little under 10 hours - glad it was him and not me (not that I can weld anyways), as that is not a fun job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor