frame repaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
well i cant afford buying new rear frame rails right now. so my friend landed me his mig welder. this is how bad the frame is:

Picture010.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

it only cracked on the bottom so how would i go about repairing it. i also cant find any good rails around here.

thanks;

vlad

n8dogg

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada
those aren't the worst I've ever seen but they are pretty much hooped. It's gonna be way more pain than it's worth to try and fix them. Much better off to replace them.
[email protected] this guy sells the set you would need to replace for about $300 so start saving!

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
thats the plan. but i just want to cover it so it will pass safety. we both live in Winnipeg so you know how picky those safetys are. The plan was a custom dash a shift kit and a AC delete panel but i cant because it wont pass a safety. my dad told my to just use epoxy patty just to cover it for safety. what do you think?

n8dogg

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada
Well it really depends on whereyou take it. The dash kit doesn't matter as long as all your signals and horn etc stuff like that works. you could try and make some bottom plates that just go with the conture of the rails and load the crap out of them with gravel guard so you can really see what they look like. Leaving it stock is the best way to go before the saftey though, the more mods you have the harder they will look.

Most shops (including mine) know these cars have garbage frame rails and will probably look BUT you never know.
I just racked up the front end on my grand prix 2 weeks ago ( GOD DAMMIT!) but I'm going to get a full front clip on sat. i just replaced the rails on my car and I still have 3 of the 4 body mounting plates that the frame bolts to (if you want them, you can have them). You only need them if your mounts are all rusted through.

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
well my mounts are pretty good so far. the reason the bottom is rusted out is because the car was sitting in a field for a couple of years. and it being a California car there is no rust except for there. also since you do safety's do you know if an exhaust that ends before the rear axle and just pointing down will work for it?

thanks;

vlad

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Isn't there a guy up in Canada that sells frame rails for gbody's?? I know i've seen his web site on here a few times. yup i found him it is Conrad up in Canada eh? n8dogg was correct with his email but here is his web site. http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor