frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is POR15 the only best way to go when painting the frame? I know regular spray paint will not hold up at all.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
dan2286 said:
Is POR15 the only best way to go when painting the frame? I know regular spray paint will not hold up at all.

por15 will never rust, just use thin coats, if you put it on to thicjk, It can warp the metal.

Spray paint isnt the anwser for anything.
I'd say por15 just make sure you do all the steps por15 says to take.
Also it isnt cheap.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Just Karter said:
dan2286 said:

por15 will never rust, just use thin coats, if you put it on to thicjk, It can warp the metal.

Spray paint isnt the anwser for anything.
I'd say por15 just make sure you do all the steps por15 says to take.
Also it isnt cheap.

I know POR15 aint cheep. Was hoping there was an alternative thats just as good. Also approxamately how much would I need to do the front frame in the engine compartment?

I've heard of another paint that I was told is as good or better than POR15. It's called Masters Series or something like that, I've not used it though. It's available at a NAPA near me, but I don't know if available at any others. Try Google?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Just Karter said:
could just clean it up really good, use a sealer and hit it with rustoleum (sp?)

I wish I could, but I dont think rustoleum will last long at all in Northeast Ohio weather, and also I know I will not be able to get ALL of the rust off and I know it will cause problems in the future.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
spray paint will hold up just fine if you prep it right. i was told por 15 is better applied during hot humid weather and if you are going to paint over to do it before it dries. 1 quart should be plenty for a frame i think

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
your best options are POR-15 and powdercoating. both are pretty much rust proof, and won't chip or crack.
if you spend the time and trouble to make things perfect, a good primer and paint will work well.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
i think theres a product called rust bullet or soemthing like that, a buddy was saying he used it and had no problems

havent used it myself though and cant speak for it (or if thats actually what its called...my memory isnt as good as it used to be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor