Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylgeist

n00b
Apr 10, 2008
I would really like to replace the frame in my 78 Malibu. I am doing a frame-off and I hate to spend all the time on the car and leave the frame a mess.

Does anyone make a full frame replacement that isn't a drag car chassis? There seem to be a ton of shops with complete frames for 55-57's that let you drop an LSx, independent suspension, etc - where is the g-body love!?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
No one makes a replacement frames. What exactly is wrong with yours? Rusty rear horns is the most common problem. There is a place in Canada that makes replacements for the rear portion. Search this site for the words "rear frame" and I am sure you will find several references to them.

If your frame is just dirty and has surface rust, strip it down, have it media blasted and painted or powder coated. I had mine media blasted and powder coated, it looks show car quality for around $750.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Conrad Lozier is the guy who makes the rear rails:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

He's in Woodstock, Ontario - pics of the install he did on my Monte are on my webpage if you are interested.

montessaj

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Lampasas, Texas
If the frame horns are that messed up why don't you just replace the whole frame? It would be way easier. Of course I do live in Texas and nice looking frames are a dime a dozen around here. If anyone is looking for some rust free parts, I have some.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
sylgeist said:
I would really like to replace the frame in my 78 Malibu. I am doing a frame-off and I hate to spend all the time on the car and leave the frame a mess.

Does anyone make a full frame replacement that isn't a drag car chassis? There seem to be a ton of shops with complete frames for 55-57's that let you drop an LSx, independent suspension, etc - where is the g-body love!?

Well, wait another 30 years and it may come--if we are not all driving our government issued transportation pods by then! Seriously though, there is not a huge market for a replacement frame for these cars yet because the original stuff is still plentiful enough at a low cost. Plus, high dollar car guys do not build G bodies--they build Chevelles and GTO's instead, you know, stuff that is smog exempt. Also, the suspension is not as wretched as it would be in a 1950's car ( no leaf springs, 4 wheel drums or king pins!) , and good bolt on alternatives exist using the stock frame. If you really wanted it, I am sure someone could build you one to your specs. If I was flush with cash and boredom (and could actually make welds that didn't scare small children), I would do a complete C6 Corvette ZR-1 chassis and engine swap, including the transaxle, for my G body.

Now if I thought there was a real market, I could start bringing frames north and selling them at $1000-$1500 a pop in swap meets. However, I doubt anyone would pay a price that made it worth my while--especially when they could just drive south and buy a drivable project for under a grand-complete with a rust-free body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor