Freakin ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So, my brakes are finally shot. I have no garage or tools so I had to take it into a shop. I knew there was something pretty far wrong with them. Wow...Needs new calipers, disks, pads, shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders. Freakin' $1200 for it all to be fixed. Weather it's a burn or not, I need it fixed. It's my DD and I have kids. So how does $1200 sound for a complete new (stock) g-body brakeing system?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
These are all prices from A-Zone for a '79...
Calipers - $10 each, lifetime (core charge)
Pads - $15 1yr warranty, $23 lifetime
Drums - $42 each
Pads - $20, lifetime
Cylinders - $9 each
Drum hardware (springs, etc.) - $28 for both sides

Using those prices, you're looking at about $780 in labor :shock:

Now I remember why I do my own stuff.

*edit*
I concur with Blake... I'd say maybe rotors/pads & drums/shoes at the worst. Only reason the other stuff would need to be replaced was if it's seizing up or leaking.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well, when I did the brakes a few months ago. I went to use a buddies garage while he was at work. And I didn't realize until I was ready to put it back together that I forgot to bring C-clamps. So I have to 'jimmy rig' it with a couple pairs of vice grips. I could tell right away that I fudged something up. The brakes would not release all the way after stopping unless I hit the pedal really hard. after a few months the pads were shot and grinding. But money was tight and I needed to get around, so I kept driving it. So I have no problem believing that the front id all messed up (and my fault lol).

And for the rears, he said the cylinders are leaking, and that the drums should be replaced. And with all the cash I have thrown at that 7.5, I just don't want to risk anything else screwing up back there. Plus, I gotta drive the kids around in it, so I do want it safe. And I must admit, this car probably has had the worst feeling brakes out of any car I have owned yet. So I'm not finding it to hard to believe that they all need replacing. I was just suprized at the price. Has anyone else ever had their car in to have all this replaced?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Not what I expected from a place called "Budget Brake and Muffler" lol.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
monte olrac said:
too bad you not close, i would just do them for you for a PACK OF SMOKES & BEER
i agree, im a cheap labor kinda guy. i would say you buy the parts and id do it for some mountain dew and some smokes too.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Up in Canada. To cold to do it outside now lol. If I had a garage I would do it myself. I do believe this is the first time I took a car in for the brakes rather than do it myself.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i had to do that to my saturn last year but i did all the work my self in like 1 1/2 hours. 1 thing i will say is get all new parts for the reqar drums like springs and clips and what-nots. i had to use my chiltons manual to help me with the rears but after the first one being done and re done 4 or 5 times the other side took me 5 minutes. also for my saturn its prolly alot cheaper to but the parts. what still gets me is alot of people havent bought a book on their cars, like chiltons or whatever the other ones are. it helps for MOST problems, not all and some times it wont even have names for parts or how to take something apart. but its still better than nothing. try it, itll suprise you :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor