Freakin ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I know what you mean about those manuals. I bought one for a Cavalier a while back so I could do some work on one.

And I'm the type of guy who loves reading instructions and stuff like that. But some things in these books are so damn confusing. ANd yes, a lot of stuff isn't labeled.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
so i looked up them parts for ya, 2 rotors, 1 left loaded with pads caliper and 1 right loaded with pads caliper, in and outer wheel bearings and seals (might as well do em since your doin your rotors) 2 wheel cylinders, 2 drums, and brake shoes along with rear brake hardware through carquest is $560.89 (thats what it lists at) with labor lets say at $65 an hour and lets say they charge ya 4 hours (hour for each wheel tha'ts more then needed) then that puts you at $885.98 installed, thats a bit on the high side, i think you should look around a bit for another place before you pay 1200 for a brake job

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I've done the brakes on several different types of vehicles, so most everything began to look the same to me, and having worked at a junkyard (removing parts from several different mfrs.) didn't hurt either. I've had 2 1st gen. S10s and since the brake systems are basically the same as a G-Body, when it came time to do the 'Bu it didn't phase me at all...

... I have to admit though, I really hate doing drum brakes sometimes :puke:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well it's already in the shop getting the work done. I couldn't wait because I need my wheels. But even that 800-900 makes me feel better.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i also know how ya feel having to work on yer car with no garage or shelter. my elky is parked outside my moms house and she wont let me clean out yer 2 1/2 car garage so i can put my car in there to work on. and i cant put it in the driveway any more because i stained yer new driveway with transmission fluid :blam: . i gotta find a garage somewhere i can store it for cheap.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well got it back and I must say, it feels like a different car. and it stops now lol.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sure it hurts but only for a little while. Most important thing is your kids will be safe. Who here hasn't been in a spot like that? Sometimes you just gotta bend over and take it. I got a friend who neglects his ride so bad EVERTHING is a $1000 job!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well they also flushed the system too (the fluid was black). ANd as a bonus, the pads and shoes have a lifetime warrenty. :)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok here's the breakdown.

-brake pads with lifetime warrenty (PGD154M) $98.78 (seems pricey)
-brake calipers (SLC160 & SLC161) $47.90 X2 (OK those were WAY overpriced)
-rotors (5549) $89.20 X2
-grease seal (19984) $6.99 X2
-brake shoes with lifetime warrenty (514PG) $102.99 (seems pricey)
-drums (8839) $83.99 X2
-brake hardware (H7104) $9.07
-wheel cylinder (WC37625) $37.06 X2
-brake fluid $9.95
-shop supplies $39.95 (WTF?!)

So that's the parts list. Plus the labour for:

-R&R calipers
-replace pads
-repack wheel bearings
-flush

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For $1200, you could buy a really nice upgrade kit instead of just a stock rebuild. I would sooner buy another car than pay that for the horrid stock brakes on these cars. In fact, I would suggest just that. Get a front drive beater that works for the winter with that money. Then, when it warms up, do the brakes on your car yourself and sell the beater for what you paid for it. Front drivers are better in snow anyways, and most will also be better on gas than the Malibu. Either that, or bring out a space heater next to the wheel you are working on to keep you warm. Take frequent breaks and do it one wheel at a time, starting up front first. Yes, it will be cold and very uncomfortable, but think of the money you will be saving. I once rebuilt a front suspension in the middle of a mild tropical storm because I needed to get to work and had no other way. I put a tarp over the fender down to my back, and let the rain pour down my *ss for a few hours until it was done. Not fun or pretty, but you do what you have to do to not spend money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor