Freakin ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You guys gotta realise how shops operate. They get a discount from the jobber and then charge you double. That's why you can't bring your own parts to have them install them. Most shops are bumping up around $100 an hour labor rate, and they pay their guys a fraction of that. It's all about making money. After rent for the shop, utilities, employees pay, insurance, and all the stuff that it takes to run a shop, the owner makes fat money and you are paying for it. That's life. You don't like it, fix it youself. And that's why we work on our own cars.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It is alot of dough, no doubt. But being in a bind with only one vehicle, I guess biting the bullet was the only alternative.
Buying a winter beater and laying up your car till spring, might have been a better solution. But timing is everything.
Shops charge a markup on parts...that's a given. You could have probably shopped around and done better.
I think of how much I could achieve on my car with $1200. :?

Jack

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
But see there would be a problem with buying a winter beater too. I live in a crappy rental townhouse. And I only have one parking spot, plus we can't park un-insured vehicles in it. So I would have also had to get insurance for a seccond car, or find a place to store my Malibu.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Phoenyx said:
But see there would be a problem with buying a winter beater too. I live in a crappy rental townhouse. And I only have one parking spot, plus we can't park un-insured vehicles in it. So I would have also had to get insurance for a seccond car, or find a place to store my Malibu.
=========================================================================================================
I understand the situation now. Not having the luxury of a garage or carport, you did what you could do. Sounds like your hands were tied. Too bad you didn't have a friend that could've helped you out with storage and mechanical help. etc.
were not all that fortunate.
Well, on the bright side, you won't have to worry about the brakes for awhile.

jeff0547

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2009
I agree with Jack,
"Well, on the bright side, you won't have to worry about the brakes for awhile."

It's done, your kids will be safe and you didn't really have any other choice.
I would, however, start checking with your friends & family to see if they know any independent mechanics who do "side jobs". I've been in your shoes a time or two in my life, too.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yup, at least it's safe. May have cost a bit, but I know for sure nothing will go wrong.... I hope lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor