Fresh engine- what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
This is about a Jeep engine but would pertain to all engines. I got my 4.0 back from the shop and it is all rebuilt. The machinist said to use a dedicated break-in oil with ZDDP first and change it as soon as I was satisfied everything was working properly. Then to use the same type break-in oil for the first 500 miles and then change it again. Then to use a good dino oil for the next 2000 miles. After that I could switch to full synthetic oil. I am scared of ruining this fresh engine by using the wrong oil. I don't want to start a pissing contest over ZDDP content either. This XJ has three Cats and I know ZDDP is bad for them. I noticed these 4.0 engines use single valve springs. That would indicate light spring pressure on the valve train. So maybe ZDDP is not all that important. The factory manual recommends an API certified multi viscosity oil but does not indicate which one. It also says to use an ENERGY CONSERVING oil such as 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on climate. So can I get some real-world experiences from guys who have broken in fresh engines? What oils did you use for good or bad? I did do an exhaustive search and opinions are all over the place. I found this info to be the most intriguing. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
I had a reman 4.0 in my 2000 Cherokee.Started with mineral oil,then to 5w20 for 500miles,then 10w30 dino for about 1000miles and finally Mobil1 10w30 full synthetic. It broke nice.

Attachments

• MuddyXJ1.jpg
    MuddyXJ1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 226
  • MuddyXJ1.jpg
    MuddyXJ1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I always did that too. Tricky with an unknown carb or distributor. That is why I would set the timing by cranking the engine minus spark plugs. Best way ever. Then I would use a known good carb set for a very fast idle. Once I get the cam sensor dialed in the timing and injection should be just as before.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
had a reman 4.0 in my 2000 Cherokee.Started with mineral oil,then to 5w20 for 500miles,then 10w30 dino for about 1000miles and finally Mobil1 10w30 full synthetic. It broke nice.
Exactly what I did with my rebuilt 301. After 1000 miles it has seen only Mobil1 and is still tight and clean. But no Cats were involved.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My head hurts. Not enough zinc- too much zinc- good for cams- bad for cats- YIKES!!! I'm leaning towards a mineral oil with a good amount of zinc but not too much and with a high “Load Carrying Capability/Film Strength/Shear Resistance” rating. It also has to be readily available and not stupid expensive. I see 5W30 Chevron Supreme as having 1018 ppm zinc, 728 ppm phosphorous, and 161 ppm molybdenum. All while having a 110,011 psi wear protection rating. Being winter that will flow well. In the spring I can change to 10W40.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I don’t think the amount of zddp is going to hurt the cats in the short amount of run time you are talking. Catalytic converters have been used since 1975 and oil had tons of stuff in it. I’ve run 15/40 diesel oil in my 06 suburban for 1000’s of miles at a time when I had some left from the race car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Assuming the builder used high zinc assembly lube (which all good builders do), we use a cheap 30 wt dino oil. Run for about half an hour for break in, fluid checks and leak inspections. Dump the oil and change the filter, get rid of the assembly lube and crud. Use high zinc dino oil. We like Delvac 10-40. Break in 500 miles varying rpms and load but no wot banzi runs. Been doing that for everything from stock to 9 second cars...

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I have been at this a while. Years ago I would have used the cheapest oil I could find and run it first for break-in. Then dump it and change to a good 10W40. But even the cheapest oil had plenty of zinc and there were no Cats to worry about. This is the first fresh engine I have had that had Cats in place. Talk about a juggling act. Flat tappet cam needs zinc but cats can't have it. The last fresh engine I had done is the 301 in my Bonnewagon. No cats. After break-in on Cam 2 mineral oil I switched to Mobile 1 15W50 which still had a good shot of zinc. It has had that for 25 years and it is still tight. I agree a zinc rich oil for the initial run probably won't hurt the Cats but the first 1000 miles after that is what I am worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor