from drums to disc brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Depends on what car you're working on. G Bodies all had front Disc brakes.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
1985cutlasssupreme said:
yea but the back are drum brakes and i wanted to know if thats hard to do?
You can buy kits that make the job fairly easy. i haven't done it myself but ive heard the kits give you everything you need and its bolt on. Although, said kits are defiantly not cheap.

7.5ltr_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2009
Drum to disc swap is somewhat involved but not hard. I've yet to do my swap but have been reading up on it and comparing. I ordered my kit from flynbye.com (still waiting on it). My calipers i found on ebay. The backing plates, e-brake cable, proportioning valve and braided flex lines i ordered from flynbye.com. I'll end up making my own shock relocation bracket. Pulling the axles will probably be the most work since i may have to turn the axle flange in order to get it to fit in the rotor but besides that you take the backing plate off put your new one on slap your axles back in and install all the new goodies.

i followed LScustoms posts

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30606

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
7.5ltr_442 said:
Drum to disc swap is somewhat involved but not hard. I've yet to do my swap but have been reading up on it and comparing. I ordered my kit from flynbye.com (still waiting on it). My calipers i found on ebay. The backing plates, e-brake cable, proportioning valve and braided flex lines i ordered from flynbye.com. I'll end up making my own shock relocation bracket. Pulling the axles will probably be the most work since i may have to turn the axle flange in order to get it to fit in the rotor but besides that you take the backing plate off put your new one on slap your axles back in and install all the new goodies.

i followed LScustoms posts

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30606
flynbye doesnt make a rear LS1 style bracket kit that allows the use of an ebrake... but ill be upgrading the thread to show the ebrake part when I can get it done, gonna be putting the rear in my bros car so will finish it there

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Around 80% of your braking power is from your front brakes. Assuming you have a street car that is not used in some type of racing event. If you upgrade to larger front brakes you will be able to feel, see, measure, ie make a dramatic improvement in your cars ability to slow quickly or stop. If you spend the money and do the work to upgrade the rear from drum to disc you won't feel see measure much improvement or cut your stopping distance by alot. It will improve your ability to repeated slow hard like in some type auto cross event where you are on your brakes hard at every corner but for an occational hard brake you will be disappointed in the results. Manufacturers often put them on cars for marketing public perception and looks. Just an FYI as they do look good. :)

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
I BOUGHT THE REAR DISC CONVERSION KIT FROM BAER. THEY WERE THE ONLY ONE THAT SAID I WOULDN'T HAVE TO NOTCH THE FRAME FOR CLEARANCE. IT CAME WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED INCLUDING PARKING BRAKE CABLES. THE STOCK 15 INCH RIMS WILL CLEAR THE CALIPERS. NOT BY ALOT, BUT THEY WILL WORK.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
GBODYLS3 said:
I BOUGHT THE REAR DISC CONVERSION KIT FROM BAER. THEY WERE THE ONLY ONE THAT SAID I WOULDN'T HAVE TO NOTCH THE FRAME FOR CLEARANCE. IT CAME WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED INCLUDING PARKING BRAKE CABLES. THE STOCK 15 INCH RIMS WILL CLEAR THE CALIPERS. NOT BY ALOT, BUT THEY WILL WORK.
notch the frame? the LS1 upgrade doesnt require a notch either, that baer set up is sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor