Front Air Dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm looking for a front Air Dam (the one under the rad) for a 1983 GP. Anyone has any leads?

Thanks in advance,

Andry

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i think it looks kinda cool the way it is, have you tried ebay? i hate the fact that they dont make resto, parts for these cars... :rant:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
pimplogic said:
i think it looks kinda cool the way it is, have you tried ebay? i hate the fact that they dont make resto, parts for these cars... :rant:

He's talking about the facotry plastic air dam directly under the radiator not a "body kit" front air dam. You can't see the facotry piece when looking at the car unless you get down on your hands and knees.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
OH THE PLASTIC THING i used to have one under my car but it was broke and i threw it away, i'll just fab one from some sheet metal or somethin, shouldn't one fit from a different body? we gotta few g's at a local yard, Affordable Auto Parts.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
He's talking about the facotry plastic air dam directly under the radiator not a "body kit" front air dam. You can't see the facotry piece when looking at the car unless you get down on your hands and knees.

You are correct, it's the one under the car up front. Since they're made of thin plastic, most old ones tend to become wavy. It would be nice to know if they are available as aftermarket parts. I doubt it, but I'm asking nevertheless.

Thanks,
Andry

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hey Andry,

first off, I just wanna say that's a kick *ss GP you got there! Very clean, very classy, tastefully agressive looking!

If I were you, I would fabricate your own out of stainless, and bolt it on... Afterall, it's just a straight piece. And the stainless would look great with the chrome on your car!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The only problem with making this piece out of metal is you'll have to be extra carefull of parking curbs, etc. The plastic would give enough and just bend and spring back if you hit something like that but the metal is just going to bend.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
First off, thanks for the comments! :wink:

I was thinking about making it out of metal (aluminum or stainless), but the thoughts of bending it on curbs crossed my mind. I know that I'm very careful about where and how I park, but truth be told, plastic is more forgiving. I'm still undecided and that's one of the reasons I'm looking at where to get a new one.

Thanks,
Andry

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Yup, I know the mentality. I was looking for a clean one for a while. Haven't found anyone who makes them and saw a shitty one on ebay for like $80...that just made me laugh. I used a water displacement chemical on mine to shine it up again after cleaning it. I have heard some random stories about people taking them off and having overheating problems. So unless yours has big gouges I'd say restore it rather than trying to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor