Front crankshaft threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
So when i used the wheel puller to take the harmonic balancer off, i accidentally raped the threads on the front of the crank, What are my options here? Will a tap and dye fix this?

i used a heli-coil kit that had the coils and the proper sized tap. you do need the right sized drill bit though. (29/64? IIRC) just tapping with the original size only helps if the threads are "bent", and a thread chaser is better, BTW.

Thanks for the info megaladon, Yeah the threads are only bent at the very front of the whole. btw whats a thread chaser???

Also i was talking on the phone with my dad the other night and he brought up something.

The reason i'm rebuilding the motor is because someone sugared my tank, i dont know how much but here is what i DO know, i had nearly a full tank when they did it, and it was only an hour or two before i made a 500 mile trip back to SC, from FL.

And i've ran at least 20+ tanks of gas through the system since then, most of which i ran the car out of gas ( by accident lol)

Is there a possability there could STILL be some form of sugar at the bottom of my tank that will cause serious harm to the new carb and motor?

I have proof that it will. It caramelized inside my motor and seized up the carb first, and on a motor with less than 5000 miles, and a fresh cam, It really banged up my valves and caused them to stick so much that the cam was pushing rocker arm studs out of the head.

I'm assuming he put allot of sugar in the tank, because there are some people who say sugar won't effect a motor, but i have proof by experience 🙁

well there are numerous links about sugar in gas and all of them say that it will not harm an engine but I guess you're the exception

CamaroAdam73 said:
Thanks for the info megaladon, Yeah the threads are only bent at the very front of the whole. btw whats a thread chaser???

It looks like a conventional 4 fluted tap with the exception of how deep the actual cutting is (sometimes a worn out tap will suffice) It may have a hex head on it rather than a square. FWIW you will be looking for a 3/8-24 NF tap or thread chaser. Hope this helps.

and IIRC on mythbusters they did show that sugar won't hurt a running engine, but when you stop the engine, that's when it can coat things like the valves.
it's not a huge problem due to fuel filters, but it can destroy in tank pumps as they don't have a prefilter and the sock is too coarse to stop things like sugar or fine sand. and remember, fuel filters are nowhere near 100% efficient.
as he^ said, a thread chaser is similar to a tap, but it won't cut new threads. i've seen people try to use a tap to straighten threads and wind up making it worse as the tap wasn't perfectly straight. chasers have a blunt, square face to prevent this. they're hard to find out of a set, but if you know a mechanic that you can borrow one from... 'though i seem to recall a SBC uses a 7/16, but i could be wrong.
also, i'd drop the tank and wash it out thoroughly. it's easy enough that i'd do it just in case. why take a risk after all of this?
and put a filter in!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor