Front crankshaft threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info guys, yeah i'm having it towed over to my friends garage instead of driving it, and i'm going to flush the tank because I payed a pretty penny to have this holley custom built around what my new cam demands. And i'll deff be using a chaser and not a tap and dye, i thought about that the other day, i just want to restore the front threads, not make new ones.

art said:
CamaroAdam73 said:
Thanks for the info megaladon, Yeah the threads are only bent at the very front of the whole. btw whats a thread chaser???

It looks like a conventional 4 fluted tap with the exception of how deep the actual cutting is (sometimes a worn out tap will suffice) It may have a hex head on it rather than a square. FWIW you will be looking for a 3/8-24 NF tap or thread chaser. Hope this helps.

i believe the crank thread is a 7/16ths fine thread

just everything else on the motor is 3/8 24

CamaroAdam73 said:
TYeah the threads are only bent at the very front of the whole. btw whats a thread chaser???

if the first few threads are damaged it'll be hard to repair since there are no threads to guide the thread chaser.

carefully!
actually that's not a sarcastic response. you just have to go slowly, by hand and feel your way. on something like this i prefer a short socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet. this way you start and guide with your fingers, then you can add a little force w/out adjusting your grip. (the ratchet head is palmed) some people like to use one hand as the guide, and the other hand on a wrench, this allows them to control the "downward" (ie along the direction of the hole) force. i wind up twisting a little when i use this method myself. but if you don't have much room it can be easier than my usual method.

If you use a tap with a long taper, you might get past the bad threads and get a bite. I don't know if they are a special type, or what they're called, but I have several in my set. The first 1/2" or so looks like a pencil and the cutting threads are gradual.

Thanks for the advice guys, BIG BIG help!

PS: megaladon, they need to change your status from royal smart person, to "the man"!

hopefully with this info the job should go smooth sailing, because removing a crank due to bad threads on the front is a really gay reason. :blam:

Ok, i just did that same sh** this summer with my and i thought that i would have to take out my crank. What i did was retapped the threads. I have the tool in my van, Its a 7\16 by 20 thread. I will take a pic of it now so you can see what it looks like.

if the threads can't be repaired then you'll just have to install a heli-coil that was suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor