Front end: Do myself or let mechanic???

Status
Not open for further replies.

duppyconqueror

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2011
I have an 81 cutlass it is my daily driver.

I want to replace the tie rod ends, control arm bushings, ball joints, and sway bar links.

I am decently handy, but I have never done suspension work should I attempt to do it myself or let a mechanic do it? How hard is it? Also if anyone can tell me what tools I will need other than jack, stands, and wrenches. Any input will be appreciated thanks guys. If I do it myself I'll try to do a write up.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
control arm bushings and ball joints should be done by someone experienced. dropping those springs out can be dangerous if you dont take proper precautions. saying all this you have to start somewhere to get experience but knowing your limits is one of the best tools you can have so it is up to you how confident you are

duppyconqueror

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2011
Damn I didn't realize that was such a hazard I figured It was easy as compressing the spring with the jack.

I'll probably let a mechanic do it. Anyone have opinions on how much a job like that should cost (labor)?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
duppyconqueror said:
Damn I didn't realize that was such a hazard I figured It was easy as compressing the spring with the jack.

I'll probably let a mechanic do it. Anyone have opinions on how much a job like that should cost (labor)?

look into a spring compressor. not 100% safe but way more than a jack and a prayer. In my very limited experience with front end work it involves a lot of swearing and long periods of banging on sh#t with big hammers..... I don't like it and it never works out for me.

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Use a spring compressor, most parts houses will loan you one, be extremely careful, take your time, let a shop press your control arm bushings in and out and you CAN do it yourself.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
As a safeguard, I've heard of tying the spring to an A-arm with a steel cable to prevent it from flying off (in case you have an accident).

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
They charged my cousin 700 to do it all on his 93 blazer. wich are the same as gbodys front end wise. I did all my s
Stuff in a lil over two days. The springs are easy put a rope threw them tie them off u be alright. But let a shop due the bushings once u get the aarms out.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
They charged my cousin 700 to do it all on his 93 blazer. wich are the same as gbodys front end wise. I did all my s
Stuff in a lil over two days. The springs are easy put a rope threw them tie them off u be alright. But let a shop due the bushings once u get the aarms out.

rope, no. chain or steel lines, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor