Questions about after market front end parts such as tie rods, ball joints and idler arms

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Lately it seems like Moog has gone to over seas crap. I just had to replace 2 Moog problem solver ball joints on my daily driver Grand Am with under 10,000 miles on them. The original GM stuff lasted over 300,000 (car has 407,000 on it now)
So I have a bitter taste from that experience. I have one new, but old stock Moog Problem solver tie rod that is over 20 years old but it doesnt say where it was made anywhere on the part or on the box.
What are the preferences for replacement parts for the 78-88 A/G bodies? Am I better off sourcing older USA made items regardless of brand or is there something brand new that is better? I have seen people mention Pro Forged, but I do not see where they are manufactured.
I am just looking for some feed back. Thanks!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Proforged is overseas as well. Unfortunately most parts other than OE are junk now. If you can source older NOS parts either aftermarket or OE, I would.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It is a shame what has happened. MOOG was my go-to brand. I now try and find NOS MOOG stuff on Fleabay. I will only buy it if I can see in the pics of the box or the part MADE IN USA.

Reactions: 2 users

Rahul_202

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2022
I totally feel your frustration with the Moog parts. Quality matters, especially when it's about something as essential as your daily driver.

For the 78-88 A/G bodies, some folks do swear by older USA-made items for their longevity and quality. But don't overlook some newer brands like Pro Forged. Even though you're unsure where they're manufactured, many people have had good experiences with them.

If you're leaning towards USA-made parts, scouting local shops or online marketplaces for older stock might be a wise move. If not, talking to a local mechanic who knows your car well might lead you to some reliable contemporary options. Either way, quality and compatibility should be your guideposts.

Reactions: 1 users

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
when i buy parts from rock auto they show you what grade part it is . fleabay is always questionable

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
when i buy parts from rock auto they show you what grade part it is . fleabay is always questionable
Even rockauto isn't infallible. It's only based on what the manufacturer 'rates' them as, not any independent testing.

Some China parts are OK, it really just depends on how well you trust the QC both when they make a test run of parts, and, as an ongoing matter.

Having said that though, I have yet to decide on where my next set of g and f body parts are coming from, if I dont have what I need on the shelves.

My gmt800 is easy - kryptonite. But they don't make car stuff :(

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Even rockauto isn't infallible. It's only based on what the manufacturer 'rates' them as, not any independent testing.

Some China parts are OK, it really just depends on how well you trust the QC both when they make a test run of parts, and, as an ongoing matter.

Having said that though, I have yet to decide on where my next set of g and f body parts are coming from, if I dont have what I need on the shelves.

My gmt800 is easy - kryptonite. But they don't make car stuff :(
Sometimes (from my experiance) not all those stock pictures used for the representation match what comes in the box. Went through several set of lower balljoints years back trying to get a pair with both a grease fitting & the wear indicator like OE. None matched or have the shown features. Ended up with the Moog Problem Solvers. Some of them even the quality didn't match. It was like they were using someone elses pictures for those balljoints. Some of the current QC seems to be set for return customers via early failure/wear.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We buy based on price way too often. The end result is wht you’re describing. Moog won’t sell a part, if they aren’t competitive, to anyone other than the 2-5% of the population like us.

I’d pay double for a quality, North
American made part if I was confident in what I am paying double for.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I ended up collecting some vintage 1980s US made Moog stuff so I am good with the parts now. I have a bunch of other vintage 78-88 G body front end parts I will be selling including an NOS set of GM ball joints. I'll be posting a for sale thread with a list of what I have this week.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor